Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Favourite Old Stamp Collecting Book?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
19 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Canuck55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I re-engage with stamp collecting after many years, I'm also rediscovering aged books that I keep on turning to for reference and pleasure. Here is my favourite…. Share yours?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
49 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chesham85 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly same book. Was ex library and must be at least 40 years old.

Chesham
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
New Zealand
57 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one is my favourite holiday book, and I don't even travel! Things have undoubtedly changed a lot since the 1974 edition but it doesn't lessen the enjoyment in touring Europe via the chapters of this book.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1847 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot has changed. Countries split up. The iron curtain has dropped. Some countries no longer have post offices.
Many of the physical stamp markets will have disappeared, as will have a lot of dealers.
As for points of interest; many places depicted on stamps have become more accessible to tourists.
And a lot of currencies have disappeared.

Does that book also discuss the former 'East European' countries? One would expect that 34 countries include those. For 1974, that would have been quite an achievement.
Edited by NSK - 08/16/2022 05:46 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
57 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add indigo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The book has chapters on some wonderful places. You might like the ones on Albania, Czechoslovakia, DDR, Romania, Russia and Yugoslavia.
There is also a chapter on "Former stamp-issuing nations, territories and states in Europe" if you want to do some more exploring. The many photos, all in black-and-white, are just as absorbing as the text.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1847 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My most recent experiences with Russian post offices are a local one on Kadashevskaya Naberezhnaya and the main post office in Novosibirsk.
The former was a small one where panic struck when I asked for stamps to frank a letter to Colombia. The latter was one where we were sent to the next door twice before we found a counter that actually sold stamps.
Edited by NSK - 08/16/2022 06:09 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05