Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Owner's Or Expertiser's Mark On US Issue From 1920's - Sloane

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 578Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jleb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Anyone run into an owner's or expertiser's mark for an
S. L. Cane? Or maybe it's S. I. Cane.... Less likely a J.L. Cane or J.I.Cane....

This is on the verso of a US rotary issue of 23-26.
Has a certain Art Deco feel to it.

I'm interested in identifying the collector or expertiser.
I've already looked at https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/index.html, but I do not see it there. Google has not disclosed anything by reverse image search nor by permutations of the possible initials and surname.

post edited to note Sloane at the topic level for future searchability.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jleb1979 - 08/15/2022 5:44 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's Sloane. Can't add anything beyond that, though.

EDIT:
George B. Sloane was a dealer and expert active during this time. Unknown if there is a connection with your handstamp. His handstamp shown in the experts site given above is (I think) the forgery. Not shown there is his pencil signature (in different styles).

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 08/15/2022 5:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not much help. Looks to me like CANE was done first and then the "bullet shape and tail/S".
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's Sloane. Can't add anything beyond that, though.

Well done !

Sloane, George B. USA (Mark reportedly forged) New York NY 1926, 18981958, dealer

You may wish to submit yours to the webmaster, for consideration
Their "sloane" differs (perhaps the forged one)
Edited by rod222 - 08/15/2022 5:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you!
I very much appreciate you casting your eyes on it hy-brasil to get over my mental block on the "C" which is an incomplete "O".
Very well done indeed.

I'll pursue further, now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8113 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that Sloane used a pencil and signed his expertised items personally. I have seen several of these; I have been told by a few knowledgeable people that all handstamps are forgeries, but I cannot guarantee that is correct.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks Rev...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2700 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a pencil signed Geo B. Slone on a 90-cent banknote, shown to us by essayk in a discussion of double paper stamps several years ago.

http://goscf.com/t/39059#354205
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the interest of collocating info re Sloane's marks, here is another signature by Sloane on a US. 142.

I suppose Sloane considered it genuine and signed it in pencil.
But maybe he had difficulty selling it just on his say-so, 'cause he submitted it to the PF in 1957 and got a positive cert #7986 back. FWIW The PF has since recertified it in 2021 (#572161).

First the verso with Sloane's pencil signature, then the front.

Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
expertised: marked on reverse.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tipzi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb, is your stamp a #594?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tipzi -
If you're referring to the initial post in the thread, my intention was strictly to explore the "Sloane" expertising stamp, but since you have delved further I will confess. It is 594-CAN-88 in the Siegel census.

I've gotten a bit interested in coil waste stamps and so it goes....

It was in a recent Cherrystone auction and afterwards I extended it for a PF cert which is positive. Neither the prior positive PSE cert nor the PF mention the Sloane expertising stamp and so I wanted to know more, but I did not want to feed at all into any of the "I found a 594" impulses that are out there. Hence I was not forthcoming on what the stamp itself was, and just focussed on the expertising mark.

I would like to get a copy of the 1941 APS cert that is mentioned in the Siegel census; it did not travel to me with the patient.

- Jonathan

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 578Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05