Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Conundrum Of Valuation.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,073Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member

United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DragoneProducts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sooooo; alleging that I have a Scott catalog 596. What would it be worth, on cover. Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
195 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
how much consideration have you given to actually looking up the stamp yourself in the Scott catalog? That would seem to give you a baseline.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10986 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without a cert, perhaps $10-$20
Don
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DragoneProducts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have checked the catalog for the price, off paper. Of course, all of the examples, are listed (siegal), as used. The value, in my 2019 cat is; $200,000.
Pillar Of The Community
4601 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The odds of finding a 596 are very, very long, let alone finding one on cover. There are lots of look-a-likes. As you have correctly concluded, they are rare and valuable. However, a 596 will require a certificate to be marketable. As an initial step, I would encourage you to post scans of the entire cover and a closeup of the stamp here for informal opinions before spending any $ for a certificate. (In other words, concentrate first on confirming the stamp ID and not any potential value.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is your stamp pre-cancelled?
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DragoneProducts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not pre-canceled. It is perf 11 x 11. It is the shade of green necessary for the issue. It is 22 1/2 x 19 1/4. It is on an Air-mail cover. I am close enough too the upcoming Stamp show in Sacremento, that I will bring it for some first hand evaluation. I just thought I would reach out to the community, for an estimate. I know, a 594 exists on cover, as well.
Pillar Of The Community
4601 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My apology for being very blunt.
How can you expect an idea of ID or value if you don't supply an illustration?
You supply us nothing. You deserve to get nothing in return.
This is a community of sharing, not coyness ... just saying.
Again, my apology for being blunt.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4085 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with John (though not as blunt). It is very, very, very difficult to assist without high resolution scans of the entire and closeup of the stamp.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DragoneProducts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, blunt would not be the word, I would have used. Brash, maybe. This would be the reason, it is so hard these days, too expand the 'hobby.' Let me, give you all, some background on 'me.' I learned philately, as child. I grew up, and moved on too other things. 3 years ago, I picked up, the obsession again. Excuse me for seeming coy or vague. It was just a question. For some reason, I can't upload my photo's. Sooooo thanks anyway. Seriously thou, how can a hobby, expect too grow and flourish again, as it did, in the 50's; 60's; and 70's, with such brash and condescending leaders?
Pillar Of The Community
4601 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a forum for sharing information and images. It is a two-way street. If you follow my posts, you will find I have posted over 2250 images since I joined. I will be more than happy to apologize publicly here again when you post images - or better yet, post a confirmation of an ID of 596 after taking it to GASS. I'll buy you a beer if you indeed have a 596.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DragoneProducts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really, I'm not trying to run off the rails, here. I don't need an apology. But, how would you attract people, (the younger generation) too the hobby? You have been a member for how long? Is this your M. O. (B) D. of operation, with all new guests? Your brash reply's make me think, I should never ask again. Oh, and I got sober, in 1991. I'm 53 now. Wow........
Pillar Of The Community
4601 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'll try again. Let me repeat my first post to this thread:

Quote:
The odds of finding a 596 are very, very long, let alone finding one on cover. There are lots of look-a-likes. As you have correctly concluded, they are rare and valuable. However, a 596 will require a certificate to be marketable. As an initial step, I would encourage you to post scans of the entire cover and a closeup of the stamp here for informal opinions before spending any $ for a certificate. (In other words, concentrate first on confirming the stamp ID and not any potential value.)

Yes, I was expressing doubt that you have a 596. I thought the request for images was a reasonable request to you to get you the best quality responses in return from the members of this forum, but apparently not.
The point is, no matter what internet forum you go to and ask about a value, they will ask for an image. The same is true of taking it to GASS, or any other stamp show - every dealer will want to see it to make an evaluation. It just can't be done sight unseen. Market value depends on more than a correct ID, There is the centering & condition of the stamp; the attractiveness of the cancel and the condition of the cover, etc., etc. In a word, valuing postal history in an art taking many factors into consideration.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DragoneProducts to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where-as; I understand the frustration, of answering novice beginners, of philately, it was a hypothetical question. I will work on getting a set of photo's uploaded.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8295 Posts
Posted 08/15/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where-as; I understand the frustration, of answering novice beginners, of philately,

There are many here who will gladly answer questions from novices. However, your question was in the form of "I know I have this, so what is it worth". Frankly, most of us are in the position of "If I had a dollar for every time someone thought or claimed to have a 596, I could buy that C3a I always wanted." So people tend to answer such remarks with a healthy dose of skepticism. It is really not rudeness, just that it has been repeated so often that it becomes a very short, rote kind of answer due to so much repetition.
As has already been stated, the odds are EXTREMELY long against actually having one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A person would not get an opinion at GASS without the stamp being present and the expectation would be no different on this forum. Quality images are even more germane and critical on this forum because we do not have the benefit of having the item in hand. That being said, the clues will come down to verifying the perforation rate, checking for setoff and of course measuring the design. That is for the stamp only. Being that it is on cover that adds an entirely new dimension and more clues such as cancellations, dates and other markings/writings.

It is, as has been said repeatedly now, impossible to render any opinion without the benefit of images. Much like alleging that I have that missing Renoir but you don't need to see it and I need a value, thank you very much.
Edited by rogdcam - 08/16/2022 07:59 am
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,073Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05