Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Conundrum Of Valuation.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,786Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   03:27 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DragoneProducts
I have sent you a private message with my email address; you can simply email the images and I will post them here for you.

We have previously gotten hundreds of inquiries like this one; so many in fact one of our members wrote an excellent article on IDing the 596. It is here https://stampsmarter.org/learning/I...arities.html You can scroll down to Appendix 1 named "Do I have a 594 or 596? ľA Collector's Guide to Identification"
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here is a tutorial on how to scan and upload images to this forum

https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/SCF/help1.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1451 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   12:11 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the fifth post in the last 30 days asking is they had a 596. It is a very common question and unfortunately not one has been genuine yet. Don't be suprised by our skepticism.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There has been a lot of discussion in this thread, but I should point out that the O/P's original question has been answered.

Quote:
Sooooo; alleging that I have a Scott catalog 596. What would it be worth, on cover. Thanks.

The answer is that it would be worth somewhere between $10 and $100000, but given the information we have, we can't get any more accurate.

It is the same answer you would get if you had asked:

"Sooooo; alleging that I have a winning lottery ticket. What would it be worth?"

Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 08/16/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where-as; I understand the frustration, of answering novice beginners, of philately, it was a hypothetical question. I will work on getting a set of photo's uploaded.

Especially when most novice questions around here are "I want to make a buck" and not about actually collecting. The whole "how do you think you're going to attract new collectors" is completely disingenuous. New collectors aren't concerned with value. That's not what collecting is.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was very fortunate when I picked up a late 40s National album recently. Not only did I get a 594, but also 595. Not a bad haul for less than $75.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
889 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   11:37 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pcerio, if these are really 594, 595, you are indeed fortunate. 594, 595 are rotary press (coil waste), not flat plate. Have you checked to make sure they are not 552, 554 (also perf. 11) which are flat plate, as these you are showing appear to be flat plate?
Edited by orstampman - 08/17/2022 11:38 am
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   2:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pcerio,
Are you assuming they are a 594/595 because they were mounted there?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1344 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pcerio: 594 is a rare stamp ... 595 is an uncommon one, but not in the same league as 594. If the 594 does not have a certificate ... and if, after you've examined it closely, you still believe it to be a 594 ... then please have it certified. Be forewarned ... if genuine, certification will not be cheap (probably around $500). Which means, if it is uncertified, it might be worth your time to have some of the experts on this forum take a long look at it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has it yet been determined if the stamp is a 596?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8810 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has it yet been determined if the stamp is a 596?

How could it be? A determination needs an exam, and it would need to be certified by the PF to be taken seriously. Heck, we have not even seen a picture. LOL
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatCent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have specified: I am curious if there has been any update (private messages or otherwise) on if/when we will see an image here and make an estimation on what it is.
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   7:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original poster has not come back since the first day nor have I heard anything from them.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
520 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A catalog in the hands of a beginner can be dangerous.

Here is a nice long article from Linn's.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...-or-596.html

Pat
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,786Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05