Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Lesson Learned": Man Shares Unbelievable Way USPS Delivered His Package

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 432Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
595 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this article online.
I have a jumbo mailbox to fit larger packages.
And the local mail carriers will bring them to my door if they are to big,
but I know this can and does happen in some situations.

https://www.newsweek.com/usps-deliv...rned-1730146
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4500 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a jumbo mailbox to fit larger packages

Exactly!
If one collects larger items like mint sheets (or vinyl records), the hobbyist should accept some responsibility and erect a box large enough to handle the expected package size without bending - or if the neighborhood or apartment restricts such, to get a P.O. box. Yes, it may happen once, but the lesson should create action to minimize a repeat.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   10:30 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here, in a land of letter-boxes, not mail-boxes, there's no scope for that. Parcels are usually left with neighbours (and sometimes behind dustbins and flowerpots).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am tempted to lay blame with the shipper. It was sent Media Mail, per the photos, and nowhere did it say "Do Not Bend" I receive all kinds of auction catalogs via Media Mail and they are invariably folded so they fit into the box. Without any indication on the package, I would expect the deliverer would think there is a book/catalog (printed matter) in the package. Sending a vinyl record via Media Mail is simply cheaping-out.

I won't lay ALL the blame on the sender - the delivery person should not fold such a cardboard 'box', irrespective of how it was sent. But still, sending something fragile, like a record, without indicating that it is fragile or that it shouldn't be bent??? Toopid.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 08/18/2022 10:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8111 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received an eBay bought PS5, a Plate Strip of 5. It was in a marked envelope, with cardboard stiffener in a proper stamp envelope. Everything by the book, except for the staple to hold the small envelope to the stiffener. Why are these folks afraid that the stamp is going to walk away?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
1097 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call this "unbelievable" since it happens all the time. The package needed to be (a) stiffer so it was difficult to bend and (b) clearly marked as "Fragile: Do NOT bend". Small, normal-sized mailboxes get stuffed with all sorts of mail of different sizes, and some of it is rolled up or folded to fit. Maybe use a larger mailbox?
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How the heck can an album from 1985 which sold 2,000,000 copies be worth $60? That is just nuts.

I agree with mootermutt about Media Mail. Priority Mail would have been treated much better. I do not collect vinyl records, but I wonder if that is standard for the industry? I know vinyl records have their own type of mailer and I don't think USPS has a Priority Mail box suitable for vinyl. Putting something of actual collectible value in Media Mail seems abusive. Can media Mail be insured? Since vinyl records are now more about collecting than actually an efficient medium of audio transmission, seems like they should be removed from media mail eligibility. Or maybe they would be eligible but only if the title is not available for streaming on spotify. Something like that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8810 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife had some photos enlarged to be frameable wall hangings two years ago in the Winter. I arrived home in a snowstorm to find the cardboard package "secured" to the top of the mailbox by a jumbo red rubber band and covered in slush from the plow going by.

On the other hand, my FedEx driver has thrown deliveries of food over my fence into a yard which contains three German Shepherds. Not a pretty picture after a GSD consumes three packages of Chorizo soup with peppers, and poops.... everywhere.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36306 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That video "Video Shows Historical Mail Operations" was fabulous
Sadly unable to capture the video.
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having the package marked do not bend or fragile doesn't help. They still cram it in the mail box. Our solution was to have the PO hold any packages or letters that won't fit in a mail box at the PO. Yea we have to drive to pick up the items, but haven't had an issue since.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05