Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is Probably Not 141A/ So What Is It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddreisba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After my posting of my mistake about 131, let me try again. I have been going through my album, trying to get straight just what I do have in my collection, I came across this one, mounted as 141A. When I work through album and catalog looking for a home for a new stamp, I don't look at values. I'm not in this hobby for the money. But maybe I should. Okay, beside odd color, I am not rich, so not likely 141A. A better bet seems 189, but only slightly better. So where? I can neither see nor feel any grill. Is it really mint? There is little if any gum, but there are many possible reasons for that.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8227 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert by any means, but I believe your stamp is heavily oxidized ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Peter.
And lightly canceled along the lower right side.
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And clearly used/cancelled, thus not mint. Probably 163, but says 152 on back (obvious?)

Pictures are not clear enough to tell if the secret mark is there or any other identifying feature.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I thought of some kind of change to the color. Thanks. I'm not alone in so thinking.
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some US orange stamps will 'oxide' (actually sulphurization ). You can learn more here https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...idation.html
Don
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My album says the 15 had no secret mark. I should check Scott. Stamp is on thin, hard paper.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have one eye that doesn't work and one that's not so good, a lousy condition for stamp collecting. I don't see any cancellation. Odd, especially from a period when cancellation was so obvious. What do you see?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1821 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original color of your stamp can be restored when you learn how to apply hydrogen peroxide to it and also remove it completely. The stamp is not badly centered and appears to be sound, so it might be worth learning how to do the restoration work (or have it done by someone who knows how). The cancellation traces on the right side assure that you are not dealing with an unused stamp. The number written on the reverse references this as the 15c National without grill. That seems consistent with everything we can see in the image, including hard paper. Apart from the sulphuretting it is a very nice stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel:
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks to all of the clear-eyed people who helped me on this. Now I fear that I should go
over all my stamps from this period to see what else I have misfiled. Stamp collecting is so much
fun.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05