Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Chinese Postal Money Order Overprint.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rrogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this stamp while sorting some Chinese stamps I have acquired:

I did a Google search and found a copy for sale on eBay and the description of the item was 'China, 1937-38. Postal Money Order Stamp, 300 Yuan with 100 Yuan New Taiwan Dollar overprint.' Can someone provide a catalogue reference (scanned page image) for this stamp. I would like to create a page in my album for this and other similar stamps. So my interest is how many stamps like this are there and what are the denominations / descriptions.
Send note to Staff
Thanks for any and all assistance.
R

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36756 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The basic stamp is a PRC 1951 Scott Type A17
I'll have a look later.
La Vuelta race is 12 km before finish exciting !

Right that's over.
OK Nothing in Scott (100 on 300)
Pagoda

Best I can do, is STANLEY GIBBONS China- North China
1949 June
PARCELS POST
Money order stamps (Scott = remittance)
SG Type NC77 P13 no Gum
Gibbons in their wisdom, do not offer opt colours.

4 in set

Yours NCP326 $100 on $10 olive green

Needs confirmation, Your opt does not match the few they offer

Good Luck

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/20/2022 11:49 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36756 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems to translate to Scott 3LQ13 1949

North China PARCEL POST STAMPS

Remittance stamps surcharged
(Basic design like Scott A4 of North China)
Edited by rod222 - 08/20/2022 12:06 pm
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod222. Indeed the overprint does not match up.
Here is a link to the one I found using Google Image search...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392423415876
Thanks for any and all assistance.
R
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36756 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Roy
This is then, a real mystery (I like mysteries)

I'll email the vendor and see if he knows where it may be listed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3004 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'll find this design was not used by North China nor any Communist area. It was only the surcharge reading in part "North China post" that made the one rod saw a North China stamp.

This is a money order stamp inscribed "Central China Post" at right. Central China (your catalog might say "Shanghai and Nanking"), during WWII, was an occupation postal district where the post offices were run by the Nationalist post office(!) under Japanese supervision. That thought makes my head spin. But this might date from later.

Anyway, the two horizontal characters at top read "Taiwan". That this was used there is confirmed by the cancel that I think is Taiwan or Taipei central (P.O.) at bottom with a code character between.

EDIT: The cancel type is definitely Chinese to me, so this is then post-1945 for Taiwan. The date appears to be year 50-something, that being after 1961. And the stated New Taiwan dollars is Rep. of China currency after 1949.

In the end, I think this is a surcharged money order stamp. If someone has a Chinese revenue catalog that includes money order stamps, a check would be appreciated.
Edited by hy-brasil - 08/21/2022 09:03 am
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi By-brasil,

The top two character was not "Taiwan", but "Taiwan dollar".
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05