Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

San And Their Inability To Provide Good Scans

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 717Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6468 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does this chap anyone else's hide?

Looking at some lots in upcoming auctions I find it very annoying to click on a single stamp lot and get a smaller image than the preview.

Rant over.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1302 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is frustrating - that's on the auction house not providing good enough images for their listings. There's a huge variation between auction houses that provide good images and those that provide few, or none at all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9471 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, drives me nuts.
Valued Member
80 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add caspian65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting to where I'm only bidding on stamps with a cert, tired of dealing with all the junk.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3157 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   11:22 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" click on a single stamp lot and get a smaller image than the preview."

I have seen the same silliness
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4817 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has caused more grief than I care to talk about.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1692 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   10:19 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes the auction house web site has better scans than those available through SAN. Rumsey is a good example of this.
Pillar Of The Community
510 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the issue the auction houses rather than SAN?

SAN isn't loading the auction lots and scans, the companies are.

SAN is "just" the website.

I completely agree clicking on an image should never be smaller than the thumbnail. That is a website issue...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4817 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I talk a little. My trouble actually troubles were with Rasdale over Beer stamps. I knew a lot . He knew nothing. Poor consigners of deceased estate got screwed. Anyway the other problem were the scans on SAN. Much better on Rasdale. Rasdale banned me on SAN but I am ok on Rasdale after he realized the error of his ways.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1692 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   12:49 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is much easier to view scans on Rasdale than on SAN, it is probably the same images but the navigation from image to image is completely different.

The Rumsey APS auction has a lot of pdfs on their website that aren't available on SAN at all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
675 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it does take two to tango.
But someone's gotta lead, otherwise toes will be stepped on.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Explaining why clicking on an image can be smaller than the thumbnail.

So all of our thumbnails are dynamically presented at 250 pixels. This is a good compromise. Too little you lose resolution, too large takes up to much space. Most auction houses provide images with more resolution, so if you click on the image you get a larger image. Though we encourage all auction houses to give us higher resolution images, some give us images that are smaller than 250 pixels, and so when you look at the actual image, it is smaller. There are only a few auction houses that do that (in fact I can only think of one). StampAuctionNetwork being the driving force for auction houses to get on-line catalogs since 1994 has really made a difference here and essentially created the de facto standard that if you want to sell anything, you must provide a scan. When we started very few auction houses felt the need to provide separate scans for each lot. Now they all do. And we made that possible, both with their enterprise software and StampAuctionNetwork itself.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   12:54 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to higher resolution images, I'd very much like to see the standard right click options to save image as and open image in new tab.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an (image) link on all StampAuctionNetwork descriptions that you can click on to get the image.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
396 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So all of our thumbnails are dynamically presented at 250 pixels.

I think Tom Droege's number is slightly off, and what he meant to say is that all thumbnail images on SAN are presented at 300 pixels wide. By "dynamically presented", he is referring to the way the browser handles the image to present it at 300 pixels wide regardless of the actual image size sent by the auction house.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 717Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05