Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm An Ebay Seller; Tell Me: What Kind Of Postage Do You Like US Using?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 829Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been selling here and there tidbits and covers and stamps and I usually get my postage at shows for 70%. These are usually older issues, usually 1998-2004. Sometimes older for some make up rate small denominations. I use a few combinations to hit the first class rate, but, do buyers like that? Would you prefer modern day issues? What's your favorite letter you've received recently that actually pleased you with its franking? Either from an eBay seller or just a friend. I love getting new issues on mail, but gosh if the savings don't add up by using old stuff…
Send note to Staff
Edited by oldboldandbrash - 08/22/2022 1:20 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8170 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep using the "old stuff". I like the older stamps and if it saves in your cost do not mess with it!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6841 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a GB perspective (and I'd expect to pay around 50% of face), I use any old combination for most sales. If I know the buyer's a stamp collector, I usually stick on something of possible interest - miniature sheets, gutter pairs, traffic lights etc. I don't mind what I receive, as I don't collect modern GB - those go into a heap that I pass on at intervals to one of my eBay buyers, who keeps a few and gives the rest to his children to mess around with.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't really have preference as long as it gets to me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Package arrives well packed.

In reverse order:
2. Any stamps
3. Current Higher Face value stamps as they are tough to find properly used; especially if used within 'proper' time period
4. Stamps showing one of my topical interests.
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is no difference newer issues (last 5-10 years) are preferred as they are much more difficult to find in the wild. But the same is basically true of issues from '98-'04 as you referenced. Either way, actual stamps on mail from stamp/coin dealers is always a bonus when receiving the package.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Current commemoratives. .
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for asking, I love getting stamps on my packages and I celebrate the (unfortunately, dying) tradition of using stamps on packages. And if they really impress me, I give kudos in eBay feedback. My favorites are anything high face value, I love the $2 and $5 Americanas. Also love getting $2 inverted Jenny reissue. Those triangle $1-$2 retro issues. Dag error always makes me smile. Plate Blocks are also good although has to be higher face value, not the 3c ones.

One I do NOT like: SIPEX souvenir sheet. I always roll my eyes when I see this. It is only 5c and not worth the space. It seems like every other package has this.

But these are still better than just putting on self-adhesive forever stamp and calling it day--which LOTS of sellers do.

Extra extra bonus points for sellers who actually get the package hand cancelled. More often than not, stamps do not get cancelled at all (I don't really mind that), but sometimes get pen cancelled. Anything that can be done to avoid that fate is appreciated. Also sometimes nice stamps are on packages have tape over them or just are not salvageable for one reason or another. On a package which is a box, the stamps in the middle tend to be more salvageable than the ones on the perimeter which often arrive damaged.It's always a shame for the $5 stamp to get torn but then 20 1c stamps are untouched.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I send certified mail now I've been using more HFV like eagles and the like since the clerks were giving me trouble for using too many stamps to hit the $4.60 postage cost. I always take packages and the like to the counter, but you'd be surprised how rude they are to me when I ask if they'll hand cancel all my other letters. I asked once and the clerk stared at me and shook her head no. Sorry guys I try. I suppose the reason I was asking is because I've been buying new issues lately and I'm wondering if I should buy an extra sheet specifically for eBay sales or if I would be better off saving my money. I'm getting mixed reviews here. I've never had someone compliment my postage though I really do try to use nicer older issues (I'm very picky when I go through a box of hundreds of sheets). And yes, good on all of you for noting that proper packing is most essential. Someone at my last show left (for free) a box of plastic protectors and cover sleeves—I jumped on it. I use those along with a stiffener (usually a piece of junk mail! Guys don't throw away your junk mail! If it's kind of stiff repuporse it!) to send stuff— I've never received a complaint.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting older stamps is a great idea in theory but they always end up cancelled with the dreaded big black Sharpie because it takes so many of them for most things I receive. I use 1940's and 1950's commemoratives on First Class letters that I send, and they cover all of the vacant space available in order to make the rate. I hope the receiver finds them to be interesting, but they likely just think that I am crazy. (Ones that know me already came to that conclusion!)

I do like high denomination Priority and Express stamps, but they are so few and far between. I really wonder if USPS still produces them only for collectors.
Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question for those of you who use discount postage on envelopes, especially low denomination ones. A lot of low denomination stamps have a horizontal orientation and were intended to be used that way. Do any of you affix those horizontally oriented stamps vertically to save on space, to where you have to turn your head and look at the denomination, image and text sideways? Any problems with clerks or USPS machines for doing this?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9039 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of you affix those horizontally oriented stamps vertically to save on space, to where you have to turn your head and look at the denomination, image and text sideways? Any problems with clerks or USPS machines for doing this?

I fit them on in any way possible and have never had an issue. If you think about it the machines could care less about the orientation or design since stamps can be rectangular (and sometimes other shapes) with both orientations.
Valued Member
498 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do like high denomination Priority and Express stamps, but they are so few and far between. I really wonder if USPS still produces them only for collectors.

I tried to buy a Priority stamp for a flat rate box I sent out 2 weeks ago. My post office stated they have no Priority stamps...
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gabriella77us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite franking for eBay stamp purchases is a current commemorative, but I appreciate any kind of real stamps as opposed to a metered postage.

As a side note, my father bought a lot of mint stamps in the 1940's and 1950's and has also acquired some from auction boxes. He mails letters to pretty much everyone he knows with anywhere from three to a dozen stamps to make up the current rate. Often several of the stamps are overlapping to get them to fit on the standard business size envelope. The letters always seem to get through, although sometimes they are cancelled along the bottom instead of the top, sometimes they are pen cancelled, and I have seen them not cancelled at all.

Relatives often bring the envelopes back to him so that he can have the fun of soaking the used stamps off. (They are all old enough to soak off in water, not the new self-adhesive.) His friends agree that this habit adds a little more enjoyment to their lives.
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I dislike the use of old stamps. For my area, they tend to make the package run late (without tagging probably get spit out of sorting machines?) and make the package stand out to thieves.

Is the optic of using older discounted postage (when charging full postage rates to the buyer) a positive or a negative? Does the buyer think, 'gee, this seller is really smart and thrifty' or does the buyer think, 'gee, this seller is a cheap skate?'
Don
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gabriella77us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to be clear, my father is using old stamps on letters to friends and relatives. He does not sell anything on eBay.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 829Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05