Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Israel 1973 Charity Souvenir Sheet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 407Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
49 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add YefimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for any details related to this Charity Souvenir Sheet.

Thanks
Send note to Staff
Edited by YefimR - 08/23/2022 11:23 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8179 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a souvenir sheet than a stamp ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YefimR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Petert4522, I made the corrections.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me to be some kind of souvenir card. Images of stamps from 5 countries and perhaps a Cinderella for Sinai. Probably privately printed to raise funds for some nonprofit or possibly a stamp club or stamp show. I can't read Hebrew and don't collect Israel, perhaps another member can translate the text.i
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1585 Posts
Posted 08/24/2022   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

First time I see this souvenir card and have no details about who issued it.

The title reads:
"Jerusalem 73
History of Gaza and Sinai and famous international plays"

It shows photos of 5 different stamps from: USSR, Germany, Italy, Israel and Czechoslovakia, all about opera with connection to Egypt and Gaza (I can provide translation if needed).

In the bottom middle, opera by Serov "The burning bush". The photo shows Jurgen Marcus, the 'Angel" actor of the opera.

The English overprint calls to end the 1973 war between Egypt and Israel, took place in Sinai desert.

I enclosed the Israeli stamp depicted on the card. It is about the opera "Samson and Delilah" (Biblical story took place in what today Gaza strip):
Edited by LaoPhil - 08/24/2022 10:59 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
143 Posts
Posted 08/24/2022   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is from the Jerusalem 73 International Stamp Show, as the top line of Hebrew is Jerusalem 73, and has been issued as a fundraiser for the War. The show was scheduled for 1973 but due to war the exhibition was moved to the 25th March 1974 - 2nd April 1974.It looks like a Cinderella item and not for postage. On the right edge is a donation for the orphanage [does not say which one] but it is probably for orphans from the war. It may have been issued by either the KKL charity, the show organisers or another charity.

[LAOPHIL: Please translate the Hebrew, Thanks]
Edited by Triangle - 08/24/2022 4:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1585 Posts
Posted 08/24/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think this is from the Jerusalem 73 International Stamp Show, as the top line of Hebrew is Jerusalem 73, and has been issued as a fundraiser for the War. The show was scheduled for 1973 but due to war the exhibition was moved to the 25th March 1974 - 2nd April 1974.It looks like a Cinderella item and not for postage. On the right edge is a donation for the orphanage [does not say which one] but it is probably for orphans from the war. It may have been issued by either the KKL charity, the show organisers or another charity.

[LAOPHIL: Please translate the Hebrew, Thanks]

I don't think it was issued by the KKL or the organizers, looks like a private issue, maybe by one of the exhibition dealers (The Hebrew writing is not so good).

As I have already written, all stamps have connection to Egypt, Sinai desert and Gaza. Translation:

USSR stamp: Ivan Franco - the epic "Moses"
Germany stamp: Handel - the opera "Israel in Egypt"
Italy stamp: Rossini - the opera "Moses in Egypt"
Israel stamps: Saint-SaŽns - the opera "Samson and Delilah"
Czechoslovakia stamp: on the top a phrase from the Book of Exodus about Sinai desert "for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground". In the bottom: Concert - Marcus Beth Lehem 73 "Christmas Bells for peace in the Near East".
Photo of Jurgen Marcus: Alexander Serov - Jurgen Marcus as the "Angel" in the opera "The Burning Bush".

I don't think an official body collected money for war orphans. In Israel, the Ministry of Defense, which is responsible for the families of war victims, gives them financial support for life.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
143 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   04:00 am  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, an option is a dealer supporting the war effort making a charity issue to collect donations. Despite the official financial support a lot of charities also help soldiers, orphans and war casualties. Could be that the issuer was trying to support a specific cause dear to his /her heart.
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YefimR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the participation in this discussion.

I also think that this Cinderella Sheet is issued by the private entity and, most likely, from outside the Israel (Europe?) because:
- the Hebrew is not native
- mistakes in the stamp's captions (e.g., Ivan Franko wrote the poem 'Moses' but the opera based on this poem doesn't exist)
- missing the currency denomination and its inconsistency (1.50 for cost and 0,50 for surcharge).

Also, this sheet is not listed in Beals Jewish Charity Seals Catalog (2002) which extensively covers issues from Israel, USA and Canada.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1799 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ivan Franko wrote the poem 'Moses' but the opera based on this poem doesn't exist"

The opera does exist:

"Moses (Ukrainian #1052;#1086;#1081;#1089;#1077;#1081;) is an opera by Myroslav Skoryk after [based] on the 1905 poem of the same name by Ivan Franko. The libretto is by the composer and Bogdan Stelmakh; the opera in two acts and five scenes, with a prologue and epilogue. The opera was first performed at the Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet on May 20 2001, to coincide with the visit of Pope John Paul II to Ukraine (23-27 June 2001)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_(Skoryk)
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YefimR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, but it didn't exist in 1973 when the sheet was issued...
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 407Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05