Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Regular Scott # USA Issues With Air Mail Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
20 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gjmmaddog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sometimes run across USA regular issues with an Air Mail overprint.

I realize air mail overprint issued for Canal Zone, etc.

Is there a catalog or internet source that indicates which of the Scott US regular issues were overprinted air mail?

I have seen some literature indicating that due to print shortage of regular pre printed airmail stamps (Scott C) being available, overprint was used.

I suspect a PO may not of had the regular airmail stamp and as result PO stamped air mail onto regular stamp.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am guessing that you are referring to air-mail saves time cancels that incorporate the term "airmail"? Those are not overprints.

Some examples:

https://classic.stamps.org/userfile...el312838.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10975 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   8:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Airmail Saves Time Slogan" Handbook can be downloaded on Stamp Smarter here https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...atalogs.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Did not realize that was on SS. What a great resource. I had a small collection of these cancellations a while back.
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gjmmaddog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdam,

Thanks for info.

The overprints I have, do not indicate the "air mail saves time" cancel.

Just an overprint that indicates air mail.

I'm guessing that air mail service was desired and no airmail stamp was available that PO.

I have Scott 795 3 cent Northwest Ordinance and Scott 895 3 cent Pan Am Union - eqach with the air mail overprint. Both are off cover.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posting some pictures would make things much easier.
Pillar Of The Community
4590 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too first thought you were referring to the Air-Mail Saves Time slogans.

Somehow you have found a reference which is incorrect or you may be misinterpreting it.

Regular stamps are valid to pay airmail postage, special delivery fees (by this time), etc. Thus there is no such thing as overprinting regular postage stamps to change their category. Or anything related to shortage, etc.

Here is an example of a pair of Northwest Territory stamps paying the airmail postage. Very normal. Indeed, the "AIR MAIL" handstamp might have been struck onto the stamps, but it would not be considered an overprint, a change of category, nor be something to catalog. Is this closer to what you are thinking?

Add: it would still be interesting to see your stamps to complete the thread.
Edited by John Becker - 08/23/2022 12:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gjmmaddog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and I understand the commentary.

Appreciate the info

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, we're not going to see a scan or picture?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05