Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Stamps From The Paper

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,215Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
198 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When did Bestine disappear here in Canada at Michaels? Last time I went a few months ago it was still on the shelf.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3962 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   10:55 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First time I have heard of this
I must try it myself.

Have always used lighter fluid to remove the Australia self adhesives $1 and onward issue from paper.

But you have to neutralise the gum with talc power like you said Rod that does not smell/scented. You need to cook the talc for 2hrs to get rid of the scent. You want to be able to open your window though. It also stays very hot for a long time.

The biggest issue with taking these stamp off paper is future possible talc power damage. It takes such a small amount to stop stickiness'. Have seen talc used for 30 years + heaped on top of album pages. It sets like grease.
Pillar Of The Community
4585 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Talc should be completely unnecessary if the adhesive removal is complete. Also, introducing a fine gritty powder seems to be adding a different problem in the future.
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 08/25/2022   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sidthestamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When did Bestine disappear here in Canada at Michaels? Last time I went a few months ago it was still on the shelf.

Can you please share the location of the place you bought it?

Apparently there were some compliance issues with the product and the manufacturers recalled and pulled out from Canada.

https://coinstampsupplies.com/produ...tain-stamps/

There were many other articles as well.
Edited by sidthestamper - 08/25/2022 11:47 pm
New Zealand
2 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kiwi Collects to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sid,
For self-adhesive stamps (and the like) I use immersion in a tray of freshly boiled water. Haven't had any colour runs etc. to date.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But you have to neutralise the gum with talc power like you said Rod that does not smell/scented.

Thanks John
that settles it then, just continue cutting around Self Adhesives.

Not sure how your time expended in soaking, is worth it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3962 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   06:52 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Talc should be completely unnecessary if the adhesive removal is complete. Also, introducing a fine gritty powder seems to be adding a different problem in the future.

Hi John interesting.

Have trialed many ways with the impossible self adhesives stamp on paper removals. Yes warm/hot water works and no stickiness but you destroy a lot of stamps trying.

Using shelllitre, bestine, lighter fluid will remove bulk gum. No matter if you scrap the gum it will never get all the gum off all stamps. Lots come up from people trying to sell these S/A stamps off paper in such a mess. 1 stamp with a bit of gum and it stick to others, into a huge stuck together mess.

My issue for long term is not so much with the talc but with what happens to these new prints that seem to be stuck on top of the paper and not into the paper so it cracks on some issues I have exposed to sunlight. This worries me for long term storage.
Have a person that will take S/A off paper for me, for stamps. But my take is also to keep S/A stamps on paper. There are a few reasons 1 is it proves it is truly postally used being still on paper. 2nd reason is there is a chance that someone will figure out how to totally remove the gum with no stickiness left we just have to wait a bit. Not going to hurt anything with them still on paper.
Learn More...
United States
10972 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   06:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Readers please note...
There is a LOT of questionable stewardship and questionable archival practices noted in this thread. Readers should consider many of them as experiments (which is not surprising in that self-adhesives are difficult, vary across time and country, and information is scarce).
Don

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3962 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   07:00 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia under $1 issues areas S/A still come off in water. The 55c era being the worse.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I soaked a bunch of US stamps I received in the mail over the last few months. I used hot tap water. To my amazement many of the 2021 and 2022 stamps came off the paper fairly well. They left some residue in the middle but I don't mind that. As long as the edges and perforations are clear and don't show paper underneath, I'm happy.

As for the rest, I'm happy to leave them on the paper and cut closely around the edges.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kiwi Collector,
I tried your boiled water technique. It worked ok but it ruined my US Spooky Silhouettes Halloween stamps (#5420-23). I don't think boiling hot water is good for stamps with foil or special effects.

I know, I know, I should have separated them out to begin with, but I just grab a bunch and threw them in. We live and we learn, right.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9043 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One rule of thumb is likely don't expose your stamps to temperature conditions that they would not experience in real life. A stamp might sit in minus 50 somewhere in Alaska or 130 in the desert but it would never reach boiling temperature.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning all. Further to the discussions above, does anyone have suggestions for removing stamps (actually cinderellas in this case) from a stockbook? I recently picked up an old Schaubek stockbook with a decent selection of mid-period stamps and many old cinderellas. I have removed all the stamps but now find that the cinderellas are mostly stuck in the book! They must have been subject to damp and I can only assume the seller simply added the stamps around the cindies! Any way of getting the items out without totally destroying the stockbook? Suggestions very welcome.
Regards
DavidR
Edited by DavidR - 09/23/2022 06:26 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Suggestions very welcome.

My experience,
Destroy the Stockbook, there is no other way.

If moisture has adhered the stamp to the stock book page, under the glassine leaves in rows, there is no other way.
You have to bite the bullet.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
514 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod, must admit this was my thought too. Shame, as it's a decent stockbook for it's age and would have been useful. Job for next week!
Regards
DavidR
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,215Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05