Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

WWI-Era US Government Thrift Cards Worth Anything As Historical Antiques?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 302Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thefivecardtrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a couple of them inside a box of stamps given to me by a relative. Photo of one attached. (Apologies for their being sideways. I rotated them properly, and they uploaded sideways.) They both have the owners' names inside, and only one stamp.

I wasn't expecting anything from a hundred years ago in here, especially considering that all the uncanceled stamps had no value except as postage. (I consulted a local stamp dealer.)

Send note to Staff
Edited by thefivecardtrick - 08/26/2022 10:00 am

United States
2 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefivecardtrick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also just discovered this artifact from apparently the 1930s--photo attached. It is labeled "stamp" but is obviously not postage.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Labelled "Tax Paid Stamp" which is correct.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
642 Posts
Posted 08/26/2022   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a thread on oleomargarine at http://goscf.com/t/6379&whichpage=2

You'll notice yours is for uncolored. There was an equivalent stamp -- in color, aptly enough -- for colored oleomargarine.
I am sure there are fervent collectors of margarine items out there, although most of us old-timers prefer butter, it appears.

As an aside, I recall reading a book long ago about submarine warfare in the Pacific during WWII in which, after returning to Pearl Harbor after a mission, some of the crew repaired asap to a local establishment and enjoyed -- wait for it.......

.......a stick of real butter between two slices of white bread, so disgusted had they been with the taste of their undersea oleo!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thrift stamp may be WS1, which isn't in my Scott catalog (unless I am blind), but there are some on The 'Bay for a variety of prices.

There are many different Oleo stamps, and prices vary.

http://goscf.com/t/6379
Pillar Of The Community
4585 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the stamp is WS1. It never had value as postage since it is not a postage stamp.
Scott lists this "on document (thrift card)" with a value of $7.50 in the 2017 Specialized catalog, but these are easily findable for much less.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05