Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Call This On This Revenue Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 819Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reddeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As you can see these 2 are both printed off a little. The one the right his head is touching the frame. the Left one has an apparent "frame" at the top. I don't what else to call it. Shading??? New to the Rev market I mainly stay with Playing cards for now plan on branching into other Revenue stamps once I learn more about them. I did read that the Rev stamps quality is more lax. Sorry in advance about the Name of this post I don't know what else to call it.

***Title Improved - Don***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp on the left, the printing ink is beginning to oxidise.

https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...idation.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/28/2022 9:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So that's what is causing the black out line? Thanks Of the thousands of stamps we got I have not seen that. I have read that about the peroxide but none of the stamps there look like that. So I was not leaning that direction.
Edited by Reddeye - 08/28/2022 9:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They also appear to be two different stamps. The one on the left is on violet paper, R135. The one on the right is on green paper, R151.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. the one on the right was the best one I could for for an analog. I had no clue they were different. Thanks for that clarification and info revcollector. That's why we're here.

my main question is the the are in the box. That is what looks odd to me. I have not seen that on any of the others that I know others that are oxidized but none look like this.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8283 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oxidation is correct, though.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your help and info. I will get to soaking it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 08/29/2022   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
soaking will not fix it. peroxide will.........but see stampsmarter.org first.

***Add link - https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...idation.html ***
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 08/29/2022   9:09 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The correct term for the problem is sulphurization, not oxidation. But one must be very careful soaking this stamp in hydrogen peroxide, which is a low level bleach. Leaving it in hp for for more than a minute or so can actually bleach the color from the paper faster than removing the sulphurization from the color, leaving a permanently damaged stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36781 Posts
Posted 08/29/2022   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stampsmarter, if duly read.
The description of this condition as "oxidation" is incorrect, but because it is so commonly-used, we are using it here too! Oxidation is generally defined as removing something so, in essence, the process of removing the sulphurization can be considered oxidation.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always like a lesson in chemical terminology, taking me back to college and my first year of high school teaching. As a freshman in college I was majoring in chemistry. Switched to mathematics at the end of my freshman year. My second year of teaching at the high school level included two classes in chemistry - fondly remembered. To further the above discussion - contact with sulfur causes reduction, the opposite of oxidation. And so I taught oxidation - reduction reactions with their accompanying equations. Twas lots of fun for me, not always fun for some of my students.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
537 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry in advance about the Name of this post I don't know what else to call it.

Perhaps you should change "Rev" to "Revenue" ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 08/30/2022   2:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hydrogen peroxide won't necessarily work miracles, but it can help. I would never soak the stamp in hydrogen peroxide. I prefer dabbing with a q-tip soaked in it, followed by a rinse in water to neutralize. Others prefer placing the stamp in an enclosed container above an amount of peroxide so the stamp is affected by the vapor, but never actually comes in contact with the liquid itself. I have not personally tried the latter method.

Some before and after examples of R6c major double transfers (T5) from my collection.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the After scan
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again to all of you for the great info. The sulfur aspect is scary. I know what that can mean in paleontology and it can totally destroy fossils before you can get them out of the ground, or slowly destroy then in storage if they are not stabilized correctly. Pyrite disease is right at the same thing, either way moisture/humidity reacts and causes acid production which is not good anyway you cut it.
Edited by Reddeye - 09/02/2022 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2943 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   3:05 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, what a difference! From what I am learning over at the coin forum, this would be a major no-no! How does the stamp collecting world feel about this sort of thing?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 819Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05