Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Get Scott's To Include More Efos With Error Book?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,160Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8415 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Albums are abridged versions of stamp collecting methods to assist users in mounting their possessions. I don't see how this relates. If you want to flyspeck or collect varieties blank pages or varios are going to be your go to and no album will help here.

A beginning will not know this, or even know what they are.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't like the current catalogs? Stop pissing and moaning and go publish your own. Simple.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8415 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't like the current catalogs? Stop pissing and moaning and go publish your own. Simple.

That seems a bit extreme for the concept of "legitimate criticisms".
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It might be, but over the years, rlsmoney has made numerous threads/posts about catalog listing deficiencies, values being incorrect, etc. It seems to be the best way to obtain the perfect catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been ignoring this thread for a bit because I don't read everything all the time, I am no Don . So some catch up:

To EFO Collector, I remind you that within US Philately Errors, Freaks and Oddities are words which are used as terms of art. Thus while we highbrow philatelist may all agree what "error" means in our stuffy world, any yahoo listing a stamp with something the yahoo sees as not correct compared to others stamps is going to call it an error, especially if the yahoo has notice $$$$$$ associated with other errors which comply with the term of art definition of error. Yes, anything released to the public via normal production and sales processes which is not within the acceptable production guide line variances or tolerances, is a common English, error or mistake. But the Error Catalog list (most) errors as defined by the term of art. If you do not understand what term of art means, look it up. It is specific.

Quote:
So I paid $2000 for a beautiful stamp that was properly expertized, talked about in the press, auctioned, and then dismissed as legit by the catalog only a year or so later. The press in this case, is the catalog publisher, and receives advertising dollars from the auctioner. I am not bitter, but this just feels wrong all around. To be honest, I trust PF expertizers more than Scott.

Did you or do you have a set of the China Clay Papers?

What about those color varieties that need spectral analysis to determine if the stamps is "correct" when the good stamp and the bad stamp are both the same color to the naked eye, and there was no alterations being done on either. Thus what looked good yesterday and still is the same color today is no long the correct "certifiable color." Yes, the hobby has gone there. So besides, tongs, watermark fluid and tray, perf gauge, UV light, we all have a home or access to a laboratory grade spectrograph of the correct type.

Quote:
It may be fun to collect, but the day comes when the collection is sold or it's a legacy. And how much it gets for ourselves or heirs depends on our actions.

And, if we're honest with ourselves or at least in my humble opinion EFOs are the most interesting, and should be the most expensive stamps.

And, that's why the upside-down Jenny, CIA invert, etc. are so valuable.

Scarcity, uniqueness, identification, and value they're all important, but uniqueness shines above all.

And, unless we're able to record that uniqueness and its value somewhere, it's like the transaction didn't occur that it had no previous value and each transaction is new.

Demand has a great part of the driving price influence. EFO Collector, in your prior posts, you mention you are relatively new but have many EFOs. Let then say to you as a self described newbie, there are 100s if not over one thousand different color inverted stamps issued world wide. While all are usually quite eye catching, not all have much demand, as such some trade at only a few dollars each. Even if such trades only occur every 3 to 5 years or longer.

Likewise, and I have not checked lately, the Error Book has never listed all US issued errors as some have no measurable demand. One classification not listed are the no gum or gum missing errors. Just like color missing errors, the no gum or gum missing errors are stamps upon which no gum was affixed when gum was required. As with all errors, the gum is fully missing from the entire back of the stamps. However, unlike color missing errors, one must collect such errors with enough surrounding stamps to show that gum was applied except for the no gum errors (establishes the gum was not chemically altered; e.g. treated with water to remove the substance).

Yes these errors exist, were known when the original and second draft of the catalog was produced, and in general result from large to massive gum skips. Yes they are eye catching when viewed from the back of the stamp block, and they are rare, quite, quite rare. But with some glue you can get face value for them on a letter, not much else. They make for good conversation but do not prompt the opening of wallets, nor retrieval of pocket change.

Edit: addition of a missing "ed" on one word.

Reedited to add the missing gum photo below:

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/25/2022 11:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8415 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would classify "no gum or gum missing" as freaks, not errors. Just as there are "freak perfs".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would classify "no gum or gum missing" as freaks, not errors. Just as there are "freak perfs".

They are by definition an error per the EFO Collector's Club (and so noted here: https://www.efocc.org/Resources/Hot..._Type028.php ).

For errors an entire element must be missing such as the perforations, one or more ink colors, tagging or in this case, the element, gum. At least missing gum can be seen without special equipment such as a UV light. Likewise, printed on the wrong side is an error be it ink or gum misapplied.

I edited my above post with an image from the link posted in this post. My examples, two I believe, are both full sheets with at least one row of five not gummed.

Freak perfs are perfs which are intended to be present, that are not placed where they belong, be it paper moved, paper folded over, paper wrinkled and the like; but when perfs are fully missing (on one or more sides of a stamp), it an imperforate error, not freak. Now stamps which are only part gummed, not fully ungummed are considered as a freak (type 62, gum varieties). Freaks cannot be reproduced exactly, an error can be.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9439 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of stamps that are cataloged as "printed on gum side" errors. Aren't these really "gummed on printed side" errors?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,160Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05