Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,840Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6287 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Kelleher Auction should be interesting with their huge amount of collections in the worldwide section . This is going to be a good test after the Schuyler Auction a few weeks ago selling a massive amount of worldwide collections and Schuyler was getting very active bidding .

It is going to be interesting to see if that strong and aggressive buying follows thru .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9446 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few observations after reviewing a large number of Gatsby lot PDF's:

1) There is no doubt that each volume comes from one collector. The notations throughout are of the same type and tone.

2) The collector had a propensity for labeling many items as "rare". In many instances these "rare" items have an additional notation of "needs cert". None of these items appear to have ever been certified.

3) There are quite a few condition issues not the least of which is toning which seems to be related to storage.

4) There are a number of multiples for items such as Newspaper stamps that are not often seen today. Quite impressive.

5) Given the quantity of material involved there are not very many certs.

6) Given the collectors penchant for ancillary materials and noting purchase dates and sellers names (GP shows up a bit and I assume that to be Gary Posner) I am somewhat surprised that no receipts are present.

7) Centering overall leaves much to be desired.

8) The collector loved cancels of every type.

9) You can feel that this was a passion for the collector.

In summary I can see why this is being auctioned in collection parts. There are many fascinating items but many need certs and even then, condition and centering would preclude many from being single item lots.

It will be interesting to see how the bidding goes. IMHO many of the estimates are reaching for the sky. Other lots such as Confederate postal history could see extremely spirited bidding.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8420 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no doubt that each volume comes from one collector. The notations throughout are of the same type and tone.

One person made the notations, but I suspect that this was a generational collection, handed down. There is simply far too much material for one person to have done this. And so much of it is mounted.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   10:09 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are also many spurious items amongst the 1st issue revenue imperfs and part perfs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8420 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are also many spurious items amongst the 1st issue revenue imperfs and part perfs.

Absolutely. And the "Unusual" Revenue Collection is very mixed, to say the least. But some of the others have outstanding material in them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The VAMP lot is also interesting. A few relative rarities and a large collection, but also more than few which look to be misidentified.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8420 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I freely admit that the vending coils are far from my areas of genuine knowledge, there are certainly some that make me wonder. That is a lot that needs a LOT of certs, and only has a few.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
205 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree - a lot of certs. Curious as to why there are no Schermack Is and IIs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8420 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They had to miss SOMETHING.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be fun. It would last me for the balance of my life to go thru it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
902 Posts
Posted 09/10/2022   12:30 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Noticed the same thing about the Waterbury cancels - many very nice ones that appear genuine, but also many clearly not genuine - so need to check closely.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9446 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I added up the Gatsby lots low estimates and came up with a total of $815,800.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3155 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   8:54 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you had a collection that was expected to realize $800k+, would you want it in a sale mingled with a bunch of other consignments?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9446 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you had a collection that was expected to realize $800k+, would you want it in a sale mingled with a bunch of other consignments?

No.

It is a strange bird in that the value comes from volume, but it has a lot of material that is not often seen especially in such quantity. A lack of certs, much chaff amongst the wheat and overall condition problems brings it down IMO. And yet as presented the bidding may just get quite crazy. If it had been a name sale it could not have been lotted much differently since there are not many items that can stand on their own. There also would have been enormous cert costs and the risk of bad certs and faults noted. All of that of course takes a lot of time as well.

The story behind this is likely very interesting and I am dying to know it. It is evident from owner notations that he/she dealt with Posner for at least more than a decade. In fact, there are purchase notations regarding Posner from as recently as April 2020 and as far back as 2009. He would know who Gatsby is.

I love a mystery ala Dorothy Sayers style.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mainer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The story behind this is likely very interesting and I am dying to know it.

I agree Rogdcam. I'd never be in the market for something like this but the story of how and by whom it was created fascinates me. A couple times I've bought things on eBay where you can tell someone has spent a lot of time and love creating something - caligraphy hand lettering on an old homemade album page. I spent a lot of time wondering who that was and ultimately couldn't bring myself to part the stamps I wanted from the page. Too sentimental I guess!

I also have no idea how an auction like this works. Something like this, involving this kind of money would have to be live, right? Can you just go and watch? And a bidder would want to spend some time going through the collection in person before bidding? I think I'd want to spend several days if I was going to spend that kind of money - is that what people do?
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,840Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05