Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,449Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mainer - Yes, the auction will be live at Kelleher's offices in Danbury, and you can also bid live via internet on Stamp Auction Network. You can also view all of the lots in Danbury. Kelleher is very good about viewing with employees helping retrieve the material for you and moving albums etc. as you finish each one. You can also just watch at both the offices and on SAN so long as you are registered. No law saying you have to bid. It may be tempting sometimes though!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8268 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Viewing large lots is a skill. People who have the skill and the philatelic knowledge of the area involved can look at them fairly quickly; it woulds probably take 2 or 3 days to look at all the US large lots.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3087 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   8:03 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also watch on the internet.

Yes some people will go view the lots they are interested in. They gave PDF pictures or videos of many lots, but they are low resolution that only gives you a flavor of the lot and do not allow you to tell if there are faults or to ID difficult to ID stamps (or confirm the ID of those they ID'ed) and since there are so few certs, viewing is rather important.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A number of the Gatsby lots already have spirited bidding on SAN with over a week to go before live bidding. In particular the revenues seem to be attracting great interest. I still never understand entering bids early online. It is going to be something to watch.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful thread to illustrate the negativity that seems to always surface on this site. Even after the pictures temporarily put the lie to the early comments, the discounting and negative comments return with a vengeance. It is both just too predictable and by now quite tiring. Ah, the joys of the internet.

If someone posted the reassembled C3A they spend years and dollars to do, the first five comments likely would be pointing out that one stamp is missing and the defects of some of the others shown.
Learn More...
United States
10956 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What a wonderful thread to illustrate the negativity that seems to always surface on this site. Even after the pictures temporarily put the lie to the early comments, the discounting and negative comments return with a vengeance. It is both just too predictable and by now quite tiring. Ah, the joys of the internet.

I sometimes make negative posts just so I can attract and ultimately flirt with all the depressed goth girls here in this community.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6117 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait a minute !!!! ---- I see a wall of mix album binders and lots of 3 ring binders that look like they came from Salvation Army or Goodwill ,with my experience of 40 years of looking at that kind of stuff, at many different stamp auction firms during public viewing . You would think just like me ...... a lot of common junk !!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5562 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   6:52 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

If someone posted the reassembled C3A they spend years and dollars to do, the first five comments likely would be pointing out that one stamp is missing and the defects of some of the others shown.

"... and stay off my lawn!!!"

I just went back and re-read the entire thread and I'm not getting anywhere near the same impression you are. Yes there were some complaints about initial presentation, and some areas of "caveat emptor" (which I would HOPE to see from this community), but also positive comments about the breadth and depth of certain areas being offered. I think the overall tenor is that of interest and/or anticipation, not negativity.

I guess people see what they want to see...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sometimes make negative posts just so I can attract and ultimately flirt with all the depressed goth girls here in this community.
Don

That had me laughing out loud. Good one Don.

Folks seem to be forgetting the old, "You can't tell a book by its cover" idiom. Unless one is buying the binders for their binder collection, the binders should not be the focus. Likewise the less than optimal condition is overlook with the 1 cent magenta British Guiana when it was housed quite well by one of the rich owners, owners all revered for owning the famous expensive stamp, and that particular owner who died in prison having been convicted of murder. Most remember the name of the owner of the stamp but how many remember David Schultz whom I had the pleasure of meeting though my sports activity?

As to the Kelleher lot in question, it seems the owner who assembled it knew bad looking binders, pretty looking binders and prestige looking binders are like any used philatelic supplies, which are calculated at right around zero when determining sale or purchase prices. So why waste money on binders.

To use a good old Texas phrase, some of the greatest looking binders and their contained within collections are, "All hat and no cattle."

Lch0o4wwGyw

Edited for English and more detail.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/23/2022 12:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3562 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the thread parallels the media. As soon as something is announced, it is critiqued without full information and plenty of speculation, It usually takes a negative slant.

Sporting events are reported similarly where a team gets behind and the commentators discuss each play as if the game has been decided. At the beginning someone can be a winner or loser but at the end it may be just the opposite. How else do you fill the time?
Al
Edited by angore - 09/23/2022 07:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since this is a stamp forum with the main purpose and function being to discuss things I thought that rendering thoughts and opinions of every ilk was on the "approved" list.

It could have gone like this:

Gatsby collection noted and linked. Everyone exclaims how wonderful it is or might be. No nuance, no differing opinions, no debate, no thoughts. Next topic.

If this thread exposes anything it is that some people want to or think that they have the high ground on viewpoints or commentary tone or whatever.

THAT would parallel much of society and the media now where everything is "sides" and differing viewpoints get shouted down and even demonized, not listened to respectfully.

If you want to win a debate show up with a good argument. Don't tell other people that their thoughts are wrong and offer nothing else.

AND if you have a problem with something just change the channel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5562 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   08:45 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AND if you have a problem with something just change the channel.

Well, that does it, you SOB! I'm flipping you off.... wait, what?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
10956 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duke recently asked me if I would like to present my health journey to other patients; I had impressed them with my positive attitude and being highly engaged in my own healthcare over the last 7 years.

Keep in mind that during this time not only had we gotten some very grim prognosis's but I had 48 trips to the operating room, 1218 dialysis treatments, and year after year of chemo sessions.

Just this week, for the first time in the last 7 years, I am facing no medical procedures for the next 2 weeks. And of course, much of the time throughout this period I often felt awful and was in pain.

And unlike you guys, I logged in each day and HAD to read every post no matter if it was negative, stupid, inane, breaking the rules, trolling, of people just being ugly to each other. Thankful, there is also plenty of kind, compassionate, and considerate folks here.

I also learned that I could NOT control things that might be happening to me, but I could 100% control what was going on between my ears. I found I had a choice in my life when the storm clouds gathered. I could run into the house and complain about the crappy weather or I could learn how to dance in the rain.
qmYi5FlRIr0

Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:32 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since this is a stamp forum with the main purpose and function being to discuss things I thought that rendering thoughts and opinions of every ilk was on the "approved" list.

Well said. I enjoy my time spent here - lots of different opinions and ideas. It is also a great treasure trove of knowledge, with a search function that works. I get my "Us and Them" fix from Pink Floyd, and not from philatelic forums... Different strokes for different folks.

John
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,449Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05