Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 4,580Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6669 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   11:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that context, your life would be immeasurably improved by listening to Syl Johnson's Different Strokes rather than Pink Floyd.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6036 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51 STUDEBAKER / DON ----- Good news to heard about the next 2 weeks , hope it continues further into the future
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1345 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thankful, there is also plenty of kind, compassionate, and considerate folks here.

I take that as a personal insult.

As to packaging, my, "you can judge a book by its cover" comment I say this:

The wife is a great woman with hair down to her waist and sporting some great curves and a wonderful smile but she is still the same great woman with a only a few strands of hair and one less breast. The wonderful smile still there after learning yesterday she was PCR (Pathologically Complete Recovery) while still needing the round of radiation and ten more three week cycles of biologics infusions. I don't judge her by her binder but I know many others would.

Quote:
Wait a minute !!!! ---- I see a wall of mix album binders and lots of 3 ring binders that look like they came from Salvation Army or Goodwill ,with my experience of 40 years of looking at that kind of stuff, at many different stamp auction firms during public viewing . You would think just like me ...... a lot of common junk !!

Well, I hope you are not too old to learn something new as well as understanding that your 40 year well developed prejudice is not always useful.

Quote:
I just went back and re-read the entire thread and I'm not getting anywhere near the same impression you are. Yes there were some complaints about initial presentation, and some areas of "caveat emptor" (which I would HOPE to see from this community), but also positive comments about the breadth and depth of certain areas being offered. I think the overall tenor is that of interest and/or anticipation, not negativity.

I guess people see what they want to see...

I was not discussing the "overall" I pointed out the negative comments came first without information, then when details began to show, comments improved but negative ones did return again.

As to what people see, "Is the glass half empty or half full?" The only correct answer is rarely given: The glass is full! It contains half water and half atmosphere. But of course that requires seeing and then understanding the big picture. So few people understand and most don't know they don't understand.

Quote:
Since this is a stamp forum with the main purpose and function being to discuss things I thought that rendering thoughts and opinions of every ilk was on the "approved" list.

Sadly, not really true. But an explanation of a basis for that observation would not pass the, "no second guessing moderation" rule which I can live with.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/23/2022 1:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8761 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8761 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly, not really true. But an explanation of a basis for that observation would not pass the, "no second guessing moderation" rule which I can live with.

Excellent!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8761 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is anybody planning on attending the auction in person?

I am going to try and be there since it is only about 1-1/2 hours from my house, and it is a great time of year to do the drive. It should be fun so long as I keep my paddle down and my wallet intact.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Keep your paddle in your pants, mister!"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8117 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With regards to the glass being half full or half empty.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?
And at the other end of the bar the world is full of the other type of person, who has a broken glass, or a glass that has been carelessly knocked over (usually by one of the people calling for a larger glass) or who had no glass at all, because he was at the back of the crowd and had failed to catch the barman's eye. "
Terry Pratchett
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8761 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll drink to that.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.

Yet almost no one would apply this to being halfway up the stairs or still have to go up half the stairs, as very few people will go halfway up the stairs and say 'that's a nice achievement, let's stay here."

Oops, control + c did not work there.
Edited by NSK - 09/23/2022 3:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1345 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yet almost no one would apply this to being halfway up the stairs or still have to go up half the stairs, as very few people will go halfway up the stairs and say 'that's a nice achievement, let's stay here."

As a lifelong outdoorsman and trained, educated and at times professional naturalist, I have been occasionally asked the question, "How far can you walk into this forest?"

No, I don't have to rely on the education from UCB, including graduate cartography classes, nor the years of nights, in all seasons (and on various depths of snow pack), spent sleeping under the stars to answer. My answer learned long, long ago when my legs were still short is, "Half way, then you are walking out."

Quote:
With regards to the glass being half full or half empty.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say.... "
Terry Pratchett

While I can understand the lack of understanding by drug addled fools in a bar, too focused on one detail, how can Terry Pratchett NOT understand it is impossible to have a glass half full given the simple laws of physics. Only in theory could a glass exist half full, one in which the temperature is absolute zero in degrees Kelvin and it is in a perfect and complete vacuum. We humans can achieve neither, nor are either known to exist naturally.

The belief as shown by that statement that there are two types of people, as erroneous as that is, as a few do understand the construct and truly correct answer, illustrates why we have the many problems in society. Those two groups are the ones whose vote always wins.

I also think that is also quite responsible for the rise of the "solo on cover quest" which infected philately thanks to the US Prexie collectors. I friend who exhibited Prexies winning more than 10 golds, once wrote in the exhibit text that there were no $5.00 Coolidge solos (as all focused Prexie Exhibitors know) and that is why his exhibit lack one while all other values and formats were shown as a solo. A judge quickly down graded the exhibit with the comment there are thousands of solo $5 Prexie covers, all on FDCs. What that group of folks, focused intently on commercial uses, as a group did knowingly and purposely exclude FDCs, but you need to say as such or the judges will "get you" and properly so.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/23/2022 5:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8117 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While I can understand the lack of understanding by drug addled fools in a bar, too focused on one detail, how can Terry Pratchett NOT understand it is impossible to have a glass half full given the simple laws of physics.

He understands completely; he wrote brilliant satires. Very funny books they are, too. You are taking this FAR too literally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8117 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A judge quickly down graded the exhibit with the comment there are thousands of solo $5 Prexie covers, all on FDCs. What that group of folks, focused intently on commercial uses, as a group did knowingly and purposely exclude FDCs, but you need to say as such or the judges will "get you" and properly so.

A judge who does this should not be judging this type of exhibit. Perhaps it's just me, but the fact that every item in the exhibit is a commercial usage should make it obvious to even a blind judge that an FDC does not belong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3037 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   9:02 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"As to what people see, "Is the glass half empty or half full?" The only correct answer is rarely given: The glass is full! It contains half water and half atmosphere. But of course that requires seeing and then understanding the big picture"

By your definition there is no such thing as an empty glass (outside of a vacuum), but you are the one missing the real picture as no one cares how much air is in the glass.

Getting back to the original topic, I haven't decided if I will play.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8761 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1, the core Gatsby US collection, has already shot up from the opening of $37,500 to $55,000.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 4,580Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05