Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,489Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1501 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A judge who does this should not be judging this type of exhibit. Perhaps it's just me, but the fact that every item in the exhibit is a commercial usage should make it obvious to even a blind judge that an FDC does not belong.

While have seen judges make some shocking misstatements, here the judge was correct and not at all at fault, the exhibitor was for declaring there are "no known solo usages" when there are thousands--but none pays a proper rate. (Now when he wrote there is "no known solo $5 cover ** paying a proper rate" he received no further grief.) The same exhibit had first day of rate covers, first flight covers one of which was sent on a special one day only first flight route just to service the mass of philatelic covers BUT that philatelic first flight had the correct rate paid for by a solo 10 cent Prexie coil -- a rare usage. But few if any experimental helicopter airmail covers have even been shown since they can only be identified for certain by the philatelic cachet and don't carry a three or four figure price tag unless including the number to the right of the decimal point. Last example, while I generally don't collect Prexies, many folks want my FDC of one of the double digit values which paid the correct and quite scarce combination surface and air rate to several European countries.

** The closest is a single $5 stamp and a postal meter strip paying a correct rate.

If I were to write "'Crowd on,' the crowd chanted while dancing to the crowd." Then asked one to explain what was happening in the scene I described, few would quickly reply, a large group of folks dancing on a sailing ship to the music from a stringed instrument while encouraging more sail to be added to improve wind catch.

How often is leap year? If the answer is every four years, you are 99% correct. When I get blow back I point out the one who answered is willing to accept a 1% error rate.

If I ask how many leap years are in a century and the answer is 25, I point out they accept a 75% error rate as only one in four centuries have 25.

Remembering the divisible by 400 leap year rule, from 2000-2020 how many years have 365 days? Answer, they all did. Now six were leap years with 366, but each had a 365th day.

Quote:
By your definition there is no such thing as an empty glass (outside of a vacuum), but you are the one missing the real picture as no one cares how much air is in the glass.

Just because a group does not care about facts and reality, that still does not make their answer correct, it just means they have no concern about being correct and thus one can better evaluate them as humans and the need to dumb-down. Heck some schools now give part credit is you answer to how much is 3+3 and your answer is 5 or 7. Expecting a correct answer is no longer politically correct.

When confronted with such a low brow example, about the glass, my immediate response is a request for a point of clarification, "which half are you discussing the liquid or the air?" That usually knocks them back on their heels and more importantly gets them to think.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/23/2022 9:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mainer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll drink to that

Is there a bar at these auctions? A place you can get a stiff drink before (or after) you place your bid?

But seriously, I didn't take either the initial or subsequent skepticisms about the Gatsby collection in a totally negative light - though I do agree there is a hyper critical tendency in just about everything these days.

I'm just sort of a hobby collector and so this is a good thread for me and I learn a lot from these kinds of discussions. I had no idea what a "Waterbury" cancel was, and now I do. I also am in the dark about how an auction like this with potentially lots of $ involved works, so I asked questions about it and got good feedback.

And as was pointed out, as more about the collection was revealed, the assessments became more positive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6128 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mainer ----Your right !! you said "as more about the collection was revealed,the assessments became more positive "

That is because people like me read the original advertisement .........what did it say ? Here it is ......"a comparable offering presented in a large lot format " notice they say LOT and not LOTS . Well weeks later they broke this 180 volume collection down into dozens of LOTS . So I was posting here that it was one group of 180 volumes up for sale .

So if a auction house puts up 180 volumes as one lot don't expect much per volume ,it was later that we got to see it differently .

It is Kelleher that did a poor job to explain the lot originally .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   6:43 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They got our attention, that was all they needed to do!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1501 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a difference between Kelleher's "a large lot format" and floortrader's "a single lot format." The later does NOT equal the former nor does the former have any indication the latter assumption is correct nor appropriate. If one only sees the two phrases as the same, then the confusion begins. Perhaps "a multiple large lot format" would prevent the single lot assumption; but of course there will be someone who thinks such a sale will have many 180-binder-single-lots up for bid.

Collection auction sales are full of large lots and is a large lot sale format over all; few if any would expect the sale to be of just one lot. Nor would one expect to see a majority of 'small' single stamp or cover lots in a Collection Auction Sale.

Quote:
I am going to try and be there since it is only about 1-1/2 hours from my house, and it is a great time of year to do the drive. It should be fun so long as I keep my paddle down and my wallet intact.

But, but, but think about how much you will save in shipping costs.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/24/2022 9:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But, but, but think about how much you will save in shipping costs.

Why must you temp me so!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lot 1, the core Gatsby US collection, has already shot up from the opening of $37,500 to $55,000.

Now up to $62,500. Some revenue lots have already exceeded the estimate.

I will not be buying. It will be entertaining to watch other people whip each other silly. The UFC of philately.
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^^ Ditto.

I looked at the lots online the day they were posted along with the opens. Very quickly realized that these would be hitting orbit before the sale day even arrived so simply told myself to not bother even attempting or hoping for any reasonable "for me" wins.

Went back and looked again yesterday. Talk about depressing. I can already see the folks missing out on the "specialized" revenue lots feeling left out and trying to get what they can with the smaller ones, hence higher bidding than normal, overpaying etc.

I will definitely be sitting this one out. Not to mention I haven't been too happy with Kelleher lately for other reasons anyway so icing on the cake that I won't be having.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today is day one of the auction and having just looked at current opening bids it is likely to be a very good day for many consignors. A number of lots are already near, at or over estimate. I am getting some snacks ready for viewing since I decided not to drive to Danbury. Now where did I put my auction viewing boxer shorts with the APS logo on the back side?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5575 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   09:05 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Top dresser drawer, next to your ASDA ball gag.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5575 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to know what was in lot 164 that drove it to over $21,000 with the juice. The 18-second video that Kelleher posted online for the lot is just numbingly idiotic.

I was shut out, as expected. The 3 lots I was potentially interested in were borderline at low estimate anyway. Oh well, more to spend at INDYPEX next weekend.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8292 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd love to know what was in lot 164 that drove it to over $21,000 with the juice. The 18-second video that Kelleher posted online for the lot is just numbingly idiotic.

Probably a few of the really rare ones which Kelleher did not recognize. Not all the rare ones have huge cat values, especially with cut or PI cancels. There are some serious collectors out there though, and they would know which ones are much tougher then the cat values might indicate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it was a bit anti-climactic for me. "Gatsby" and/or heirs did well with a total of around $900,000 before commission. I wonder how many other collections like this one are out there.

Next up, the John Galt and Huck Finn Collections followed by the Homer Simpson Holding!

Who is John Galt?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
690 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything I bid on went for well more than I could afford. I watched one item sell for almost 3x the high estimate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6128 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"How many other collections like this one are out there " not many . Your talking about someone who spent a life time to put it together .

The people who would know are old time stamp auction people . They would known who has been buying nice material for 20 or 40 years . Remember these collectors are buying from various firms and spending like $10,000 to $20,000 a year for many years . My guess ,it is a stamp dealer ,who also collected for himself .
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,489Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05