Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,519Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"How many other collections like this one are out there " not many . Your talking about someone who spent a life time to put it together .

I still think it is impossible for one person to have put that collection together; there are too many duplicates which are properly mounted. Unless someone had a lifetime of doing nothing else, this was a generational family holding.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   11:03 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe 1 paddle took half the main attractions, including the biggest one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   01:36 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was Stanley's
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it was Stanley's

The man is 91. What is he doing with all of that stuff. Still flipping?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3100 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   08:07 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least very recently he was still trying to do that.

The one lot I bid on went for 25% above my bid. The other lots I was tempted by went below the high est except one that went nuts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just assumed that people like NYStamps were big buyers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was very surprised at the prices of the 2 large worldwide collections Lot 796, and 797. I thought these would be sell much higher than they did. The description used some odd terms ie " formed by a working laborer" What does that mean? All low value stamps? It said "He, like most of our elder clients, loved all the Blue Chip Countries;" Does this mean the smaller countries are sparse? I had enough questions that I got Kelleher to set up a zoom meeting for me to view 796. I saw a lot of blank spaces and decided to pass but I liked 797 a lot and was willing to pay top end of estimate but I'm very happy with my bargain.

We are in a Florida hotel and it lost power so I decided I better put in my bid ahead of time the 1st chance I got. I bid $15,000 and got it for $9,500 so kudos to Kelleher!
Edited by KRelyea - 10/01/2022 6:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3100 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   6:49 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assumed my now usual role as second high bidder on the one lot I bid on today.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   7:04 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRELYEA ----Hope you do well with it .
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something weird happened with either 796 or 797 (I forget which--probably 796). At first it opened at $15,000 and no takers, then they rewound (I think they re-opened an earlier lot) and then opened this one again for lower around $9,000 and it got a couple of bids above but nowhere near $15,000. I didn't really understand what happened.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like they opened at the limit of the book bid and maybe realized the mistake?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3100 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
or they owned it and opened it at what they hoped to get and then had to try lower
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never known Kelleher to employ that method. They always start with the published opening bid unless they have competing bids on the books in which case they jump to whatever those bids dictate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   08:06 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. They had to stop and go back and reopen several items because someone was retracting bids. I think this was part of 796 bidding.

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,519Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05