Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher To Offer 180 Volume US Collection In September Collections Sale

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,491Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5575 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen Kelleher lower/retract bids when someone online was inadvertently bidding against themselves, i.e., they had a prior book bid that was already the high bid.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've seen Kelleher lower/retract bids when someone online was inadvertently bidding against themselves, i.e., they had a prior book bid that was already the high bid.

This happened several times during this auction. As much as I don't care for Kelleher, at least they're good about doing this.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1266 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Skipped Kelleher this time around - although some nice WW material, the exchange rate is brutal right now and 2 big Canadian auctions to look forward to this month.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
when someone online was inadvertently bidding against themselves

Did that once.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8292 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most auction houses have the "bidding against yourself" problem show up occasionally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't SAN let you know that you are the high bidder (pre-auction bidder) if you happen to be present for the Live Bidding? I really don't know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't SAN let you know that you are the high bidder (pre-auction bidder) if you happen to be present for the Live Bidding? I really don't know.

Yes. In my case I left a bid on SAN and then joined live through the auction house platform and really screwed up.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't do that now since they use SAN exclusively. I put in a bid of 15K for 797 but I was able to watch the live bidding through SAN and during bidding for 797 it showed "Selling to you" in green every step of the way.

If you bid on SAN and then attended the auction in person I guess it could happen. I bid in the room and won a couple and then went back to the motel and took a nap. I was running a little late so I made the rest of my bids through SAN.
That confused them and I ended up with 2 Invoices, separate shipping etc. Bad idea Ken!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6128 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kelleher had a very good and active day on Friday with the U.S. section and the GATSBY'S material . But surprised by what I read about Saturday auction .

Saturday was the foreign and worldwide collections plus the large accumulations lots . That was very poor ,I believe they need to rethink their estimates in that part of their auctions or put back the material they are now removing to sell elsewhere in their auctions , they have to do something to improve those lots . I like to use the expression their people are combing those lots a little to much .

I seen lots which would cost more to ship to Florida than the price they realise . That is a real turn off to online bidders and getting one or two like that would be a great way to loose bidders for the next auction . That screems real loud to bidders if a lot can't get past half of the estimate in the auction .

Remember the " NEW YORK STAMP COMPANY RULE" if a lot is actively being bid on the floor of a stamp auction ,then it is safe to overbid them ,something there is worth selling on eBay .Good rule to follow . .

I think Kelleher hired the guy from Dutch Country Auction ,who would use the combination of worldwide covers and U.S. FDC plus add in a few blank albums or children albums ,then add in a few plastic tubs of cheap worldwide mixture stuff and then list it as a ESTATE LOT or a back room closet lot . Yea you get a bunch of large cartons but can you make enough to pay the juice and shipping charges .These firms are making 20 minute lots .

20 MINUTES LOTS take that long to go from the FEDEX truck at your front door until 75% of the weight goes into your trash dumpster .........all of 20 minutes you don't want the stuff in the house .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8292 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember the " NEW YORK STAMP COMPANY RULE" if a lot is actively being bid on the floor of a stamp auction ,then it is safe to overbid them ,something there is worth selling on eBay .Good rule to follow . .

The problem with that thinking is that they throw everything against the wall to see what sticks. Just because NY Stamps thinks it is worth it does not mean that it actually is.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The problem with that thinking is that they throw everything against the wall to see what sticks. Just because NY Stamps thinks it is worth it does not mean that it actually is.

And, they have the ability to realize significantly higher prices than you can!
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not understand what happened in lot 774 a Turkey collection I had some interest in.

Until the lot came up for sale, the opening was 1300. At sale time lot opened at 1800 which was more than I wanted to bid. I assumed someone had bid lot to the 1800, as next bid would be one more advance.

Then lot was announced as 'available', in other words it was a pass or no sale.

Why not open at the earlier 1300 since no one bid 1800?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5575 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   6:18 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unannounced reserve that they missed?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that the bidder of $1800 withdrew his/her bid and left them with no bidder.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could also be that the bidder of $1,800 had a bid limit (do not exceed $x in purchases) and his bids on previous lots caused the bidder to hit his or her limit. If the bidder won lot 772 or 773 it might have taken a minute to update the bids and realize that the bid had to be cancelled.
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 138 / Views: 7,491Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05