Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Air Freshener To Remove Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
333 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddreisba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry to ask this, since it has come up before, but I couldn't find it in search. What is the name of the air freshener people use to remove non- water soluble stamps from their backing? Has anyone tried anything else with any success? Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   5:54 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Orange Pure Citrus air freshener spray.

Works great.

However, the gum remains on the back of the stamp after it dries, so you have to use unscented baby powder, or scrape the gum off the back...

Using powder is messy, and scraping increases the possibility of damage to the stamp.

The biggest problem with Pure Citrus is that it can fade or blur postmarks.

There are numerous other chemicals that you can use.

I've given up on it, and now just trim close to the perforations and mount with the paper attached.

Another method is to avoid unsoakable self adhesives altogether.

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by johnsim03 - 08/31/2022 6:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8268 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
trim close to the perforations and mount with the paper attached.

I strongly recommend doing this, and not trying to remove them. More work then it is worth, and potentially dangerous as well, depending on the method used.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4763 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As my biochemistry professor frequently said to the students: Junior Chemists
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lindner is marketing a self-adhesive stamp specific removal liquid described as follows:

Quote:
ERNI Products from Lindner help retain the collector or dealer improve the value and condition of used stamps. Use ERNI Self-Adhesive Stamp Remover to remove self-adhesive stamps from covers, postcards and cardboard.

Manufacturer's Use and Handling Instructions:
How to use: Briefly shake container and pour straight into appropriate dish without diluting it. Fully submerge stamp or part of letter in ERNI solvent for self-adhesive stamps. In most cases, the self-adhesive gum will dissolve within 15 minutes. After the treatment of the stamps, rinse in the water dish and dry as usual. We accept no liability for water sensitive stamps.

Note: In some severe cases, e.g. MI/D/MH 27 we recommend leaving the stamps in the solution for approximately 24 hours. After this, wipe away the gum with a clean cloth (paper towel) using light pressure. The efficacy of this solution does not extend to all self-adhesive stamps printed.

Important: After use, do not pour the used liquid back into the bottle.

Tip: The self-adhesive stamp "Oesterreichische Alpenblume" (Austrian alpine flowers) 22/7/05. The issuer of this stamp recommends using nail varnish remover. (No liability assumed)

Keep out of children's reach. Read identification label before use. If inhaled, can cause allergy, asthma type symptoms or breathing difficulties. Avoid inhaling fumes. Can cause allergic skin reaction. Wear gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection / face protection. If medical help is necessary, keep identification label and packaging at hand. Disposal of contents and the container according to local/regional/national/international regulations.

General note: Immediately dispose of any garments which may have been in contact with the solution. If inhaled: In case of breathing difficulties get fresh air and assume a position that facilitates breathing. Get plenty of fresh air and consult a doctor. In case of skin contact: Immediately wash out with soap and water, rinse well. In case of eye irritation: Rinse well for several minutes under running water with eye lids open and consult a doctor. If possible, remove contact lenses and continue rinsing. If swallowed: Immediately consult a doctor.

Ingredients: pancreatin, 1,1'-Methylenebis [3-(1-hyroxymehtyl-2,4-dioximidazolidin-5-yl) uric acid]

Size: 8 fluid ounces (250ml)

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/li...86226_u_c___
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 08/31/2022   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   03:31 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,

That particular method (using clear mount plastic or similar material like used 102b cards) as backing works extremely well - with Pure Citrus, too. That film used for backing is not coming off unless you spray it again...

My biggest problem with all of these methods is that it is labor intensive. It also looks kind of dorky when a clear backing is attached to the stamp, though a good argument could be made that a paper backing looks dorky as well. At least with the clear backing it doesn't obscure the perforations if in a black mount or on a black stock page.

As mentioned above, some of the chemical solutions are potentially dangerous. At my age, I prefer to die naturally, if possible.

After much study and experimenting, I've solved the problem by only collecting to the year 1975 with regards to worldwide. Now I am free of all these vexing problems - except for my "special" country collections.

John

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9022 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roger that John.

I was shocked at the cost of the Lindner product. $35 per 8 oz equals $560 per gallon. And one of the ingredients is uric acid.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mainer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My biggest problem with all of these methods is that it is labor intensive

I'm slowly coming to this conclusion too. I've used Bestine but I've never been able to master the scaping of the residual gum with a credit card routine. So I use the baby powder. But there's something wrong with my baby powder technique, I seem to end up with some residual tackiness and when I go back to that album page after some time the stamp is sticking a bit.

Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Baby Powder!
That must be the white powder I see occasionally on the back of mount enclosed mint stamps. The powder isn't stuck. It's just on the back of some mint stamps in patches.

Stamps I've seen with powder are mainly from Latin America. It must be somewhat common as I've seen it over a period of many years and many collections.
I still really do not know its purpose in these mounted collections as the stamp is protected in a plastic mount. To use the powder must be time consuming as there is also the cutting of plastic mount and mounting of the stamp.
Valued Member
148 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The deal breaker for me for Pure Orange Citrus is the smeared cancels. I didn't have an issue scraping off all of the adhesive on modern USA stamps without damage (I would use a thin plastic card), although sometimes it took a couple of passes. Possibly I was using too much solution.

I came to same conclusion as johnsim03. Just not worth it. When I see ones I want to keep, I just leave on paper. If I did want to collect them would probably pay someone to do the dirty work. Mystic does sell complete 2021 year sets used for $66.95 with the caveat "Some post-2000 used stamp issues are difficult to find. When we don't have used, we include mint stamps in your year set." I wonder how clean they are--if they have completely clean back and clear cancel, or do the have baby power/adhesive residue (ugh) or stuck to plastic sheet (also ugh), or maybe even still on paper?
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05