Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hermes Heads And Other Classical Era Greek Material

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 585Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/03/2022   10:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here a couple of interesting Hermes

Scott #22 flaw and Scott #22b inverted '8' on control number

I will post other pages from this group (includes some material the Robert O. Truman Collection).
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting subject .......need to improve my basic collection . The best place to start is viewing the Zurich Switzerland auction of the FERRARI collection of April 15-16 ,1929 some unbelieveable stuff . Never will be a better auction of Hermes Heads than that .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   5:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be posting some more images in the coming days, there are over 1800 Hermes heads in this group.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did Truman use Scott's, Hellas or maybe both for cataloging?
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   4:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some of the pages

11/01/22 - Removed some of the images since they will be re-posted later when I get them better organized.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stuff Don! As I have told you I am intimidated by the Hermes heads. So much to learn and STILL a tough nut to crack. Lots of fun as well if you like a challenge. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing this person's Hermes Head . Some nice stuff but his organization was difficult for me to follow ,there was things I could not understand in his notes and arrows pointing to things I didn't understand . Looks like items were removed and he followed Scott's in places

Was this lot purchased from a auction firm and some of the markings on the above pages are those of the firm .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the notes and numbers look like they are from SEFTON'S catalog & handbook which was publish 1971 ,this handbook was for Large and Small Hermes Heads .
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   9:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got this material from a fellow collector and am unsure of the provenance; the first thing I did was scan the entire group as I originally received it. It certainly is possible (perhaps likely?) that this is the confluence of several collections and/or others have made modifications/additions/subtractions. I then began separating those pages and stock books which had indications of being from Truman. I have a significant amount of material that I could not determine a connection to Truman and it is now in a separate group of material. There are almost 2000 Hermes stamps in total and I am learning as I work my way through it all.
Don
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have gotten this material better organized now (in chronological order). I'll post 25 pages at a time starting with this post.

Don
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Now that I have them better organized, next step is to learn a lot more.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36841 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A mind boggling collection.
That should keep you out of mischief Don, ... for a few years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing collection ,thanks for showing it .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 585Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05