Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Scott 1614 Precancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 490Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reddeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found these in an envelope mixed in with covers from an auction. Figured I'd share. Not thinking there anything special, just good examples. I know we (daughter and I) don't have many of the same stamp with more than one city maybe two till I opened this.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
collectable, common
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is some fun to be had with inexpensive items.

The Pleasantvl NY is probably from a "Readers Digest" mass-mailing.
Rutland VT and Milford CT also sound familiar for bulk rate mailings.

Pillar Of The Community
4770 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite collectible and fun ... and inexpensive to collect the vast majority of these. The Scott Specialized notes:
1518, the 6.3 cent coil, 129 different Bureau precancels used in 117 cities.
1614, the 7.7 cent coil, 160 different Bureau precancels used in 153 cities.
1615, the 7.9 cent coil, 109 different Bureau precancels used in 107 cities + two carrier rate.
1615C, the 8.4 cent coil, 144 different Bureau precancels used in 145 cities.

Here are some of the same cities as the original poster shared, but on cover to show some of the users:
Boulder, CO: Psychology Today
Pleasantville, NY: Prevention
Milford, CT: Fortune
Smithtown, NY: TIme

And the same towns used with other precancels/users:
Rutland, VT: message from Readers Digest on reverse side
Milford, CT: Time
and the 9 cent coil from Pleasantville, NY: Readers Digest, first class postcard.

All from $1 boxes, I think.

With these magazine publishers printing many titles, finding other publication titles for the same towns would not be unexpected. I also suspect many uses of these bulk rate coils will be from contract mail preparation companies with numerous return addresses for their various clients. One of the challenges is locating used copies (on or off cover) perfectly knifed down the perforation row by the affixer. Potential for lots of fun.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing how "common" stamps were used adds a lot of interest to modern US,
especially for your non-collector family and friends.

Of course, as John's post shows, if you tend to collect to "complete"...

These precancels are very inexpensive so you will have to hunt in $1 boxes and accumulations.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John Becker,DStamp,and chasa.
We found these in a United States Post Office envelope that was in an auction.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 490Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05