Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Change In National Archives Site To Search Post Offices

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
47 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dairypac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I used this site to identify partial town post marks. It was quick and easy.
Does anyone know if it can still be accessed?
It looked like this:
Search: Postmasters and Post Offices

You could put in the part of the name you had and it would give the possible towns it could be.
Ross
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was not aware of such a feature on the NARA site. If you find it later, please post it in the thread.

Were you thinking of the USPS Postmaster Finder site at https://about.usps.com/who/profile/...ster-finder/

You can do the same type of thing with Jim Forte's post office search site. He supports a wild-card search.

Check here. https://www.postalhistory.com/postoffices.asp

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4590 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I echo Mike's suggestion, Jim Forte's site is extremely useful for postmark identification. Posting images here works well too.
Learn More...
United States
10975 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   10:16 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Smarter has a database of over 100,000 modern (those with zip codes) post offices and supports a 'partial' word search. The tool is available from any page (at bottom) named ZIP code tool. Then select 'By City/Town', then type in the city/town name or 'partial' name.
https://stampsmarter.org/

Don
Valued Member
Canada
43 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see that the Library and Archives Canada has proudly announced their new website design that launched last week. It's easier to use and more intuitive which means you can't find anything. I used the access point you describe a few times in the past and it was helpful. Maybe contact LAC and explain your problem and they can help?
Valued Member
Canada
47 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dairypac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies, Mike, John and Don, but I am dealing with Canadian cancels.
Thanks Stampfiddler, I may have to do that! Been avoiding it so far, thinking the "new and improved" part would kick in!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
538 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dairypac:

My apologies. I failed to read the Forum title. Call it a "Senior moment".

I always thought becoming senile would be difficult, but I've adapted to it nicely.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 09/05/2022 12:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4590 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I missed the "Canada" topic also. I approach this board by looking at the list of 50 most recent active threads and go by the thread title. I assumed it was U.S. without any specific country mentioned in the title. Since it fooled three veterans, it might be good to add "Canada" to the title even though it might seem redundant to some.
Valued Member
Canada
47 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dairypac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem, my senior moments have turned into senior hours, if not days!
Valued Member
Canada
180 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very disappointed but not at all surprised that LAC messed this up. Hopefully just a wonky hyperlink that will soon be repaired.
Valued Member
Canada
47 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dairypac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have received a timely, helpful answer from Library and Archives Canada.
Here it is, in part:

Thank you for your request to Library and Archives Canada regarding the Post Offices and Postmasters database.

Although the former standalone database is no longer available, the version that is now available within our Collection Search catalogue does allow one to search a partial name. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Open the Collection Search catalogue at: https://recherche-collection-search.../Home/Search

2. Click on "Advanced Search" from the right-hand side of the page

3. From the "Database" dropdown menu, select Post Offices and Postmasters

4. In the "All these words" search box, type in the partial name you wish to search enclosed by asterisks. For example *atswo* will retrieve any results containing this series of letter (e.g. Chatsworth, Coatsworth): https://recherche-collection-search...s&q=*atswo*&
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05