Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Appraiser / Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 704Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RobinGWD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, is it normal/safe to drop off a large collection at a reputable stamp shop for a few days? They asked for the time to review the collection.
Thank you!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37409 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion
Absolutely not.
When you say "reputable" reputations from whence they came?
I'd stay with my collection, a broad appraisal doesn't take long
to get an overall opinion on strength and condition.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4817 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Show an overall picture of the collection. The albums and binders will tell us a lot. A to Z Stamps in Tempe and Michael Aldrich in Cave Creek are good. Show pics here first.

You have posted in two different forums. Pick one and post pictures. You have pic posted in the inherited forum already.

What you consider large may be small to collectors here. How many albums, totes, trunk load, truck load type of size?
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/07/2022 01:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3052 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say, "it depends". In any case, you should get some kind of descriptive receipt if dropped off.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I'd trust a dealer with a store. The dealer has too much to lose if he/she acquires a bad reputation. Plus the knife cuts both ways, where the collection owner could get it returned and call the cops and say "the dealer stole my Saxony #1 and US #C3a".

Run-of-the-mill collections take no time at all but more time than is needed must be spent with it to assure the collection owner that you did look at it carefully. Meanwhile, if the dealer is alone in the store, he's not serving or watching other customers present, some of whom will take the lack of attention as a cue to steal what they can.

You may or may not have been dealing with a clerk who is unable or unauthorized to do a proper appraisal. So, the collection needs to valued by the principle owner/buyer who may not be present.

If you feel the need to shepherd the collection, make an appointment for after hours. Best to get two offers if it sounds like it has any kind of value. And you tell each potential buyer that you're doing this and selling for the best offer.

Edited by hy-brasil - 09/07/2022 12:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have taken it somewhere for an appraisal (as in: my father's estate requires a value for this collection of his), it is unethical for the appraiser to make a purchase offer. On the other hand, if you took it somewhere with the intent to sell, expect the figure that you get to be the offer.

I have worked for a few dealers over the years and when someone came in looking for an offer for their collection, almost no matter the size, we tended to give an offer on the spot. A large collection (requiring more time) would involve a moving van. It is not worth the dealer's time to sink 3 or 4 days looking through a collection for those gems that may, or may not, be there. There are certain places a dealer would go (in the collection) immediately to see if there are valuables in the collection. Any dealer would ask the owner where the value is.

If this is, say, for an estate, and strictly an appraisal for estate purposes, expect to pay for that service. Of course, fees would be discussed up front. This may take a bit longer, if for no reason other than the person that brought it in (an heir) may have no idea where the valuable items are, so the appraiser is going in without any direction.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RobinGWD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, as to the size of the collection, I suppose it's an SUV trunk full, like 2 or three large moving boxes full of boxes, albums etc... Large enough that we used a dolly to move the boxes, but certainly not moving truck load size lol.
The Scott albums are fairly full, but the smaller boxes have hundreds, if not thousands of glassines with stamps in mint as well as used condition from the 1800's to the 1950's, with the majority being early 1900s. Lots of France Libre with decent value, if I'm looking them up online correctly. Every country you can think of and several that I've not heard of or are no longer countries/territories. I'll post a few photos here. Lots of currency, 1800's postcards and letters also in the collection and lots of limited release stamps- I realize that doesn't make them all valuable. There are some I looked up with high hopes that would go for nothing now. :)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4817 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some value yes big value no. I would take to Aldrich auctions in Carefree. This is the type of material he handles.

Make an appointment with Mike.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/07/2022 1:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Be very clear up-front exactly what "number" you want. Do you want an appraisal for estate or insurance purposes? Do want an estimate of replacement cost? Do you want an estimate of retail value if sold to a dealer or consigned to an auction house? Etc. Each of these will get you a different answer.
2. For the bulk you show, a dealer should be able to give you a reasonable answer in an hour. There is no need to leave it with anyone.
3. 95% of the value will be in 5% of the bulk and vice versa.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3155 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go to Michael Ball (A to Z) before M Aldrich.

The Italian stamps pictured are decent, but please be aware the Fiume overprints may be fake.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4817 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both are good. A To Z will buy. Aldrich will auction. Tempe is closer and cash quicker.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8416 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd go to Michael Ball (A to Z) before M Aldrich.

Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RobinGWD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the great info- I do have an appt with Michael. So nice to see that he is well regarded. :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 704Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05