Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Queen Elizabeth II And Our Hobby.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,564Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   5:15 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some folks here have been collecting for many decades, some for a few weeks or days.

Some folks here have a large budget to spend on stamps, some collect only what they can get for free.

Some folks collect stamps from only one country, some collect a little of everything.

But I think it's safe to say almost all of us have at least laid eyes on one British stamp with Queen Elizabeth II on it. If not, then seen them online or in magazines.

When I heard of her passing today while driving, the first thing that popped into my head were the many times I have seen her portrait on stamps. She actually helped teach me how large the Empire once was, what various countries used to be named, etc.

Whatever your thoughts on her, the monarchy, the whole idea of monarchies, you have to admit, QEII has been part of our hobby for a very VERY long time.

Long Live the Queen!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mainer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the exact same reaction when I heard the news. I immediately thought of all the stamps I've seen over the years with her image. When I was a boy, my Canadian aunts would save stamps and bring them when they came to visit. I had so many of those centennial definitives I'd make them into bundles of 100 as we were taught to do back then. Still have them all!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is the case that all(?) Great Britain stamps since 1952 have QEII image--if she is not main image on stamp then head image or silhouette in corner. So are they going to change new issues to have KCIII head silhouette? I wonder if Machins will live on or be replaced by something else?
Valued Member
Canada
198 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Undoubtedly new issues will have KCIII profiles on them. The same will happen to coins and bills that currently have her image.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8171 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason for the regents profile on English stamps is simple. All countries are required to print the countries' or entities'
name on all their stamp issues. Since England was the first to introduce stamps they are exempted from this rule as long as they print the regent's profile on the stamps So yes, we will see KC3's profile on the British stamps.
So long Machins

Peter

Edited by Petert4522 - 09/08/2022 8:05 pm
Valued Member
395 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, her image on stamps brings back many memories of my early days of collecting.

Rest In Peace ...

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1266 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at our weekly Kiwanis meeting tonight in our small Canadian town and several people - all non stamp collectors - mentioned to me a favourite Queen Elizabeth stamp of theirs. Which was really nice to hear.

I will be putting QE stamps on all my mailings out for the next couple weeks to be sure.

~Greg
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36795 Posts
Posted 09/08/2022   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by rod222 - 09/08/2022 10:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1034 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be interesting to see what the new King Charles III stamps will look like. I wonder what his 'standard' silhouette will look like adorning stamps of GB. I wonder how long it will be before we see the first of them for sale. Will there be an ongoing, constantly added to, series for KCIII, similar to Machins for QEII? The BPO is going to be busy for the next year or so!!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6847 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   03:28 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having endured the tedium of the Machin design for nigh on sixty years, I hope that the new design will be fundamentally different. There's no reason why a new design should use a profile - the QEII definitive stamps utilising the Wilding photograph and the Annigoni portrait are much more attractive. But I fear that reduced modern design skills and ambitions and cost will rule out the possibility of a beautiful series along the lines of the QV Jubilee issue.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
824 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Her image was on the endless Machin series. Seemingly a humble simple series, but oh my, it had all the features for a stamp collector:
Different WM, different perforation, no perforation, different size, different colors and shades, different printing techniques, perfins, fluorescent type, adhesive.
Did I forget anything?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2113 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love the Machins as they show how stamp production changed.

@Rob Roy
Phosphors, phosphor layouts, iridescent overprints (security, year, and source), booklets, sheetles, etc.

However, Machins never came with a watermark. Those were the re-issues of the Wildings.

@GeoffHa

The Jubilee issues make a lovely album page. The mass production of stamps, however, requires printing techniques like lithography and gravure that are not very apt for 'Jubilee,' or MacKennal-like designs. I doubt the design skills have anything to do with modern stamps not having early 18th-century Rococo designs. Times simply change and in 1966 - 1967 Arnold Machin's design was a reflection of what many people liked.

Considering King Charles has shown himself to be a traditionalist, I too am hoping for a bit more elaborate designs. But I am afraid neither Royal Mail, nor the majority of the public will share my taste.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6847 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   06:35 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK - Yes, the Machin issues were a pleasant change from the Wildings when they appeared. However, having seen the same bland design on my incoming post for decades, I had more than enough of them many years ago. I'm not sure that the post office is overly concerned with what we like - we just take what we're given!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9043 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What the new stamps may look like:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
824 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK - you are right. I was thinking about back prints: D, star I, star II.
I've downloaded some time ago a PDF document, from adminware.ca, titled "simplifying the machins", and there many more features of these stamps are mentioned, like currency, no-value, various security measures, paper types, and more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder what his 'standard' silhouette will look like adorning stamps of GB.

If he has any say, they'll use an image from when he was younger...
Let's face it, the man is not what you'd call "an Adonis"...

(waiting to get banned on the forum by his new subjects)

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 2,564Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05