Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Queen Elizabeth II And Our Hobby.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,636Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2932 Posts
Posted 09/10/2022   10:04 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With all of the latest UK Jubilee issues so fresh, what else can they possibly issue NOW but something subdued, subtle, classy...

Though I'm sure folks are right and many postal companies are seeing $$ in potential "wallpaper stamp" sales.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 09/10/2022   4:53 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my favorites from years gone by and one of the reasons I took to the hobby.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 09/10/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the Royal Mail website detailing UK Stamps issued by Royal Mail about the Queen

https://www.royalmailgroup.com/en/a...lizabeth-ii/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6394 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm going to have to get back to the Bi-clored QE2 sets I put on hold for my KGVI collection.

Hoping the prices don't skyrocket.

Always loved these. May she rest in peace.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about the Queen as collector, as the royal collection was personal rather than state property?
She apparently was interested enough to continue acquisitions and staffing although, if Wikipedia is to be trusted, since Michael Sefi left in 2018, the household position of keeper or curator has been vacant. One hopes there are worker bees keeping things going sans Keeper.

One assumes the collection will be inherited by King Charles.
Any sign he has any interest in stamps?
What color will he choose for the binders to hold his additions to the collection? QE II had green, her father Geo VI used blue, and his father George V red.

Will Charles see fit to get a new Keeper and continue acquisitions? Or will the collection be a casualty of apathy or austerity (the slimmed down monarchy)?

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/17/2022   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the intensity of planning by royal family (weddings, funerals, jubilees) I suspect a definitive portrait and profile have already been chosen and approved. Not sure what they will do with new issues with QEII already in the design, however
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last year, plans for 'Operation London Bridge' were leaked, From the leaked plans, it was apparent there had been preparations for the Queen's (London Bridge) death in place for some time. It, also, was known that there were plans for an 'Operation Unicorn' if she would die in Scotland, as happened.

In the past, no special issues were planned when the sovereign died. Now, the 'Royal Marines' issue had been planned for 29 September. These stamps will already have been printed. My expectation is that it will go ahead as planned. On 19 October, Royal Mail planned its surprise issue. Likely, this also had been printed, but may be postponed for an issue commemorating the Queen. Although, this is highly improbable. Even if the design had been chosen, it is unlikely to have been printed.

It, very well, may be the case royal Mail has prepared a new issue for King Charles III and it won't take almost a year for a new permanent design to appear. There, also, may have been preparations for a new silhouette.

I doubt - but that is how I interpret the British protocol - the Queen will have approved these. I expect Royal Mail will require the King's approval for those. I cannot imagine they will have been printed before approval by the sovereign. Maybe, we will see the Christmas stamps with the CiiiR cipher, and early next year the silhouette. The permanent stamps may appear in December or January.

It will be interesting to see what Royal Mail will do.

Edit: if the surprise issue for 19 October will be postponed, it may be interesting to see whether stamps come to market with the Queen's silhouette and with a new cipher or King's silhouette.
Edited by NSK - 09/18/2022 02:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1597 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One dreams that the surprise issue was printed in Tyrian plum and is sitting in stocks somewhere…
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received the new 'First' from Royal Mail. Since it was delivered today, there is a good chance it was mailed Tuesday, but almost certainly after the Queen died.
There is no sign the planned issue for next week will be postponed and it will not have been possible to reprint these. The stamps still have the silhouette of the Queen.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted Today  13 Hrs 4 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Royal Mail will issue special stamps in memory of Queen Elizabeth II, on 10 November.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63031624
https://shop.royalmail.com/special-...ty-the-queen
Edited by NSK - Today 13 Hrs 3 Min ago
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,636Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05