Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Cracked/Scratched Plate On R54

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Harper1249 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all. I came across this specimen today and it appears to show a plate scratch or crack in the upper right corner. I looked on Revcollector's web page for plate varieties and didn't see one listed with similar markings. The line(s) on the left are very straight so I would suspect scratch. The one on the right might be a crack but could be scratch as well. Thoughts?

Harper1249

Added a close up
Send note to Staff
Edited by Harper1249 - 09/09/2022 6:06 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8167 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice scratches Harper. If I may take a guess, these are scratches - a plate crack is seldom that straight

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i concur, they are plate scratches.
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two parallel scratches, the one on the right being rather faint. The one on the left continues into the stamp above for a good fifteen mm. The positions in the plate are 54 and 71 in the plating guide.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 09/09/2022   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight folks. That looks to be same position as mine. Where does one get this plating guide? I'd be interested in looking it over.
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Replating of the 50 Conveyance Civil War Revenue Stamp by Steve Rorer. Published May 1, 1980 by Cuero Publishing Company, Cuero, Texas 77954.

I've had the book forever, and have no idea where you might find a copy. It has sketches of each of 85 positions, with identifying characteristics of each - guide dots, extraneous dots, plate scratches and the like. Plating isn't easy to do even with the guide. I tried to do it and probably have about half the positions, plus a lot of unidentified stamps. Not having looked at it for quite a while, it was interesting to get back to it for a bit.
Valued Member
United States
31 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked - I see that Eric Jackson appears to have a copy for $25.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8268 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice scratches.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8167 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper, I do not know where a coy of the book is availabl, but you might try Abe books or another seller of second hand books. If you google "philatelic books" you will find several sellers.
If everything else fails, and if you are a member of the APS you may borrow their copy ( and maybe copy the relevant pages ).

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the leads on the book. I'll see if I can track it down.

Harper1249
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05