Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morocco Agencies A Quest Or The Drawbacks Of Opportunism

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,145Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have Tom Current's book on the overprints? IIRC it's titled "Overprints on British Stamps for use Abroad"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36838 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have Tom Current's book on the overprints? IIRC it's titled "Overprints on British Stamps for use Abroad"

Seeking a copy, if any members have one for sale.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That sounds like an interesting one. No, I do not. I just looked whether it is on sale. But there is just one hit. The GBOS appears to have published a review in one of its journals 15 to 20 years ago.

I have been looking at works on the Morocco Agencies, but they seem to be rare.
Edited by NSK - 09/12/2022 01:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 09/15/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check with the Great Britain Collectors Club to see if they know of any copies out there, since they published it IIRC.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Great Britain Collectors Club is defunct. It merged with, I think, the GBPS, last year.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The MacKennals overprinted for use at the British Post Offices, i.e., retaining their sterling face values, also appeared on paper with the 'Block Cypher' watermark. For this issue, there were two types of the 'MOROCCO AGENCIES' overprint. The original overprint was 14 millimetres wide. A later overprint was 15.5 millimetres wide. Recently, I won the set at auction.

As I posted elsewhere, my first SG Empire Catalogue (2007 Edition) was in my mailbox, yesterday. The GB Overprint Society's website mentions the letters, especially the 'S', in the overprints differ but does not go into details. The SG catalogue does. It shows an enlarged 'S' and mentions the ends are cut off diagonally on the first type and horizontally on the second type.

The 4d stamp only exists with the latter overprint.
The horizontal ends are clearly visible. It becomes more obvious when compared to the 1 1/2d stamp that only exists with the former overprint. Note also that the two lines of the overprint are of almost the same length on the 4d stamp, whereas the bottom line extends beyond the top line on the 1 1/2d.

Edit: correct measurements. The 14mm was the original, later changed to 15.5mm.
Edited by NSK - 09/28/2022 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One to go

Last week, I ordered some British stamps. I asked the dealer whether he also had any of the three remaining stamps in stock. He had the 5 centimes and 40 centimes. I received these at no extra cost. This leaves just the 25 centimes on 2 1/2d stamps missing from my collection. Unfortunately, this was the second of the two stamps that earlier escaped me.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   12:52 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One in this lot, I think, but you'll acquire duplicates!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133943548443
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link Geoff. Unfortunately, it is the earlier Simple Cypher set and the missing 25 centimes is one of the two mounted stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops - apologies. Schoolboy watermarking error!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the missing 'large format' 15 centimos on 1 1/2d photogravure stamp. I did overpay, but it fills an annoying gap. The 2007 SG Empire & Commonwealth lists it at 6 (hinged unused). The seller claimed its catalogue value is 13. He had it listed on two sites; on one he had it discounted. I ended up paying about catalogue value, including postage and the ridiculous exchange rate PayPal charges (no idea why they do not charge local currency).

This is one of those examples where filling the gap outweighs the costs. Also, this is the (scarcer) variety not listed in the catalogue. And it is in a nice red-brown 'shade.'

Now to find that French currency 'Block Cypher' stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One (usually) good source for information on these stamps is the website of the Great Britain Overprints Society. I consulted it many times but I never gave it much thought that there is a strange error in the information on its listing of the overprints on the 'Seahorses' for the Morocco Agencies. The 'Seahorses' were permanent stamps of the reign of King George V with values of half a crown and higher. They are wider than the concurrent Mackennal permanent stamps. Philatelists call them 'Seahorses' for an obvious reason. The error occurs on its pages for both the British and Spanish currency overprints. The pages include illustrations that suggest to be an aid in discerning between the printings.

Anyone see the error? The clue is in above information. It is very obvious once you know what you are looking for.

http://www.gbos.org.uk/index.php/Country_List/29
http://www.gbos.org.uk/index.php/Country_List/28
Edited by NSK - 10/01/2022 02:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Talking about opportunism. This seller from Canada is offering five unmounted mint examples of the same stamp at USD 70 on Delcampe. The description reads "Great Britain Morocco Sc# 64 MH Lot/5 1929-1931 10c On 1p Overprint George V."

There are a couple of things wrong with the listing.
1. The solid background to the King's profile identifies this as a photogravure stamp and not a typographed stamp of King George V. The photogravure 'MacKennals' were not issued in Great Britain until 1934. This is not a 1929-1931 issue, but a 1936 issue.
2. Scott #64 appears to be the Spanish currency overprint on the 'Block Cypher' watermark typography 1d stamp of King George V. In Spanish, a cent is a centimo In French, it is a centime. The multiple adds an 's.' Clearly, this is a French currency and not a Spanish currency overprint.

This seller is asking USD 70 for stamps that have a catalogue value of maybe USD 15.

Edited by NSK - 10/01/2022 07:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, should Seahorse issues be a little more than 22mm wide? Like 30+? Maybe they mean tall instead? :)
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 10/01/2022   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@billsey

You are on the right track. They are about 39 mm wide. The difference is not in the width, but in the height. Showing two stamps below each other that do not line up horizontally shows they were not aligned. The images have the same approximate width but different heights.

This is what their webmaster replied to the mail I sent him this morning:

Quote:
Yes, I know it needs correcting, but I'm having a problem with the lists.
Edited by NSK - 10/01/2022 4:32 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,145Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05