Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morocco Agencies A Quest Or The Drawbacks Of Opportunism

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,310Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2377 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A seller from France offered all stamps from the 1917 'Simple Cypher' set but the 3 centimes stamp on one of the sites. I made him an offer for all stamps and got good quality stamps for a nice price.

The missing 3 centimes stamp is readily available unmounted. I should receive it in a few days. However, still no sign of that elusive 25 centimes 'Block Cypher' stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 10/07/2022 10:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2377 Posts
Posted 10/20/2022   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
25 centimes

Earlier, I wrote

Quote:
French, Spanish, and Italian sellers may follow the Yvert & Tellier or Michel listings. So, they may offer the 1925 stamps separately. But will you, actually, get the correct set of stamps? I am not convinced you will.

I find sellers from these countries rarely state the watermark or show the back of the stamps. I contacted some that did not know there exist two watermarks. I, frequently, see that where the seller posts a picture of the back of the stamp, the watermark is not the one mentioned in the listing. I have seen listings of more than one stamp that mixed the watermarks.

I frequently come across listings that mention an Yvert & Tellier catalogue number but list the period 1917 1932. The first overprints in French currency were issued in 1917. These were overprints on stamps with the 'Royal Cypher' watermark. The concurrent high value stamps were the 'Seahorses.' The year 1932 saw the issue of the highest value stamp with overprint in French Francs, 6 Francs on the Bradbury, Wilkinson printing of the five shillings 'Seahorses' stamp. The overprints on stamps with the 'Block Cypher' watermark were released to the public in 1924 and 1925. Two further values were issued in 1934.

Unless I am mistaken, Yvert & Tellier lists the 25 centimes on 2d blue with 'Royal Cypher' watermark as number 5. It lists the same value on 'Block Cypher' watermark as number 15. Any listing that refers to 1917-1932 may refer to the original stamps, with 'Royal Cypher' watermark and the two 'Seahorses' stamps. It may also refer to any of these stamps, other than the new values issued in 1934 without discerning between watermarks. In the latter case, does a reference to Yvert & Tellier nr. 5 mean the stamp has the 'Royal Cypher' watermark? Or did the seller not bother to check the watermark and could it be an Yvert & Tellier nr. 15? The former are priced a little higher than the latter in my 2007 SG 'Empire' catalogue.

I asked a few sellers on Delcampe who either did not identify the stamp at all or listed it as Yvert & Tellier nr. 5 for a scan of the back of the stamps. In most cases such a scan will show the watermark. One seller who offered an unmounted mint block of four Yvert & Tellier nr. 5 stamps at 3 replied by posting a scan of the back of the block.

They were the missing 'Block Cypher' Yvert & Tellier nr. 15 stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,310Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05