Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identifying Chinese Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 736Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Renminbi: You've shown the current characters, but that's not what the stamp reads, nor the others of that issue. The stamp inscription is:

Many Hanzi characters have been simplified from "traditional"/older forms over the years by the People's Republic. It has been a gradual, ongoing process, so stamps of different time frames will use different characters. Taiwan has not followed the same scheme, so dictionaries, etc. depend on the source and time period, even for online references.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36877 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting,
Thank you.
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many Hanzi characters have been simplified from "traditional"/older forms over the years by the People's Republic. It has been a gradual, ongoing process, so stamps of different time frames will use different characters.

(1) #20154;#27665;#24163; - Traditional mainly used and taught in Taiwan, Hong Kong and perhaps some South East Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia etc.)

(2) #20154;#27665;#24065; - Simplified, used widely now except Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Worth to note that not all the Chinese charters are simplified. In the case of Renminbi, the first and second characters remain the same. The 3rd character has been simplified from 13 strokes to 4 strokes.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36877 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ninhao, saved.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Ninhao,
I do not agree with your explanation.
modern (simplified) Chinese read from left to right, while the old one from right to left (especially when it goes in vertical columns rather than in rows).
Edited by Just for fun - 09/13/2022 09:00 am
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 'Just for Fun',

I started learning the Chinese language at the age of 7 (i.e. Year 1) and have gone through the changes of from reading and writing the Chinese characters from Right to Left and then from Left to Right. From the Traditional to the Simplified version.

Older style of writing starts from Top to Bottom, Right to Left. Most of the modern literatures are now written from Left to Right and is written horizontally line by line (the same way I'm typing this message). There are of course still some who preferred to keep the traditional custom (of writing and therefore printing) from Top to Bottom, Right to Left.

Here is a good reference on Horizontal and vertical writing in East Asian scriptse

Have a good day.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ninhao,

The explanations in your new reply (#21) were correct.
What I disagreed were the English text in the last photos included in your original replay (#19). It stated just the opposite way (it says traditional Chinese read left to right, modern Chinese read right to left).

I started learning Chinese in 1950th at age one and is still going.....

Edited by Just for fun - 09/20/2022 11:26 am
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the text circled in the image above is backwards. Wondering where that image came from.
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree, the text circled in the image above is backwards. Wondering where that image came from.

Hi NicholasC,

Thanks for your correction. My mistake when creating the jpg image file. I typed these in MS Word document and then took an image using a snipping tool. It was my mistake and the correct one is shown here.

Glad to know you have been learning the Chinese language at a very young age. Have a good day.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ninhao, thanks for making the update. My knowledge of the Chinese language is very limited, but through stamps and even a couple of visits to Beijing for work, I have learned a few things. China was the first country I worked on as part of my remounting project after acquiring the world collection that I have. This community was a big help when I had problems identifying certain stamps.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ninhao,

based on the reply, I think you were responding to my post rather to NicholasC's.
in your newly post picture, the two characters for simplified Chinese are still not in correct order (they are still have to be read from right to left as you posted).

I was born in China and left at age 33.
Edited by Just for fun - 09/21/2022 2:14 pm
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   04:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninhao to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was born in China and left at age 33.

Hi Just for fun,

I updated the jpg and included a Dr Sun Yat-sen stamp overprinted with Military Post usage.

Good to know you were born in China. I'm sure you are still fluent in Mandarin (P#468;t#333;nghu). Hope you keep using and speak the language. I was born in Malaysia and many (and not all) of us with the Chinese heritage study and maintain the Chinese culture. Hope one day you have the opportunity to visit Malaysia and experience the multicultural environment.

Quote:
This community was a big help when I had problems identifying certain stamps.

Hi NicholasC,

Yes! This community is certainly a big help in seeking assistance to identify stamps from many areas.

Have a good day to both, and wishing everyone good health and always having fun with philatelic.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 736Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05