Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello Everyone! I Am A New Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 371Next Topic  
0 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Phrygian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,
I have collected stamps in the past but that was quite unserious. I plan on collecting more seriously from now on and I have decided to concentrate on a company. I was thinking of Liechtenstein because I have always liked their stamps. I would just like to know wether this is a worth while field to invest into. Do stamps from Liechtenstein retain their value or should I just stick to a more popular country like Germany?
I chose Liechtenstein because I am sort of a completionist and I think I do not want to go for something that is extremely complex to collect. But I cant help but think that Germany would be better, owing to the fact that I live in Germany. I would appreciate some insight and thank you very much.
I would also like to know about what is better to collect, stamped or mint?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7038 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, and welcome. What you collect is entirely up to you. Some people like mint stamps because they can see the design better. Others like stamps that have actually gone through the postal system. Don't go into it as an "investment". Stamps in general don't hold their "value", and can be subject to significant real-world price fluctuations. Most German stamps, particularly pre- issues, can be obtained fairly cheaply.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2383 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for an investment, you might do better staying away from stamps.
Unless you buy at auctions, expect a dealer will pay you at best half of what you pay him.
Most auctions charge at least 20% to the seller and the vendor. So If you buy a 100 lot, you will pay 120. If you sell the lot for 150, you will receive your 120 back. You will need a 50% price increase to get your money back. And I think that is an optimistic estimate.

As a new collector, you may be prone to overpay.

Not many people collect Liechtenstein - a country and not a company - so expect it is easier to buy than to sell.

Unless you are willing to pay a lot of money for expensive classic stamps at auction and have the knowledge to buy low, forget about value. It will be about collecting.

Also, there is no way to predict whether any country will retain its value. Numerous countries were popular a few decades ago, but no longer so and they can be bought at a discount to prices paid decades ago.
Edited by NSK - 09/11/2022 3:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4126 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stamps, for beginners, should NEVER be thought of as an investment. They should be collected for enjoyment. Stick around and get to your 50 quality posts. You can then get into some giveaways and you never know what those may have in them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
574 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The easiest way to develop a $ 1 million philatelic investment portfolio is to start with a $ 2 million one.
0 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phrygian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone!
Do any of you have suggestions company of the album. I was thinking of Leuchtturm?
I Would want something that would include everything, blocks and stamps?
Edited by Phrygian - 09/11/2022 4:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2383 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are posting on a site that primarily has US and Canadian members. If you live in Europe, you, likely, will be familiar with the big three German brands.

A lot depends on what you want to collect and what your preferences are.
Many people here use Steiner pages. Personally, I think they look what they are: cheap. I like the German brands, but they are expensive. If you collect a year of Liechtenstein issues, you might end up paying the equivalent of three years of such issues for one year of pages.

if you like to follow the Michel catalogue, you might go beyond Steiner and, maybe, even beyond Leuchtturm (Lighthouse in English-speaking countries) / SAFE / Lindner. Personally - again -, I use Lindner T Blanko as I go far beyond most standard pages sold.

You might consider a stockbook or loose-leaved alternatives such as Vario pages. This gives you a lot of flexibility and allows you to mask gaps in your collection until you fill them. When your collection grows and you decide whether you want to add extras, you might decide on spending money on the more expensive pre-printed album pages. Be aware that every publisher has its own ring-system and most pages only fit the (very expensive) albums from that publisher.

As an investment: ALBUMS ARE VALUED 0 WHEN SELLING YOUR COLLECTION.
Edited by NSK - 09/11/2022 4:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2383 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I Would want something that would include everything, blocks and stamps?

Am I correct when I read this as miniature and souvenir sheets and sets of single stamps?
Blocks are something different (multiples of stamps) and, usually, not included.

To put it in another way: I get the impression English is not your native language. This may cause some confusion when you translate words. Even UK and US terminologies are not always the same.
Edited by NSK - 09/11/2022 4:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
599 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phrygain,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

My personal bias is a used stamp loses the story of its journey in the postal service when it is removed from the cover it transported to its destination. Collecting postal history adds a whole new aspect to your journey in our hobby.

Wishing you many enjoyable future days in our hobby. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Presuming German is the primary/native language, then:
Block = miniature sheet
Viererblock = block of four
Gedenkblock = souvenir sheet
0 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phrygian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have another question about collecting EUROPA stamps.
Is it better to wait a few years before buying them or should I buy this years products nwo?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2383 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your guess as to whether they will appreciate in value is as good as mine. It remains a guess.
You are back at the issue of investments.

Europa stamps were introduced by the six members of the European Coal and Steel Community, in 1956. From 1960, the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) organised the issuance. Most stamps issued from the 1950s have not shown much appreciation. The first issues tend to have somewhat of a catalogue value, others hardly do. I would not know what would cause a rise in the prices for these stamps.

You might wait to see whether prices drop and risk having to pay more. Until then, you will have a gap in your collection.
Alternatively, you might fill the gaps and find that prices go up. Bad luck! But the chance you will get your money back is stacked against you. So, you might better consider how annoying you find those gaps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
599 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my best collector friends and early mentor said it best. To paraphrase:

Russ, stamp collecting is my hobby. I get many many hours of pleasure doing it. When I am gone what relatively little can be gain from the sale of my collection will be much more than if I left my family and friends a pile of empty cigarettes' packs and beer cans.

Whatever you do, your enjoyment of doing it is your treasure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05