Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Smarter 'A Stamp For Every Country' Customizable Album Pages Now Available

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 682Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The customizable Stamp Smarter 'A Stamp for Every Country' album pages are completed and available for free download. I made a short instructional video on how to download and use the pages.
Download page is here https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/F..._SSHome.html

Since you can change the pages as you desire, these pages are perfect for making a topical album or a 'First Stamps for each Country' type album. The 'A Stamp for Every Country' album is a collection which, while challenging, is completable and within reach without spending a fortune. Start a collection, then turn over to any potential young collector to seed their interest.
Don

frjjgYOUgp8
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   6:01 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, Don!
And, thank you for the kind words...

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3567 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work. More choices is good!
Al
Edited by angore - 09/12/2022 06:43 am
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Don,
A remarkable effort and very nicely done. When you say the album has been completed, did you prepare an index of every country represented? I say this because I was looking for the Bermuda page and could not find it under the "B" page list. Might it be found elsewhere? Or, are users expected to use the blank page to develop additional country pages? Thanks in advance for a reply.
D. Buss
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is not currently an index. As mentioned, this version emulates the original work that John did and he broke his work into several sections including 'Territories and Possessions' and 'Other Stamp Issuing Entities'.

I have a master database of all 'stamp issuing entities' and it has 3122 different entities listed. Over the years, this community has seen a number of fairly contentious threads when folks post their opinions on what constitutes a 'country' or stamp issuing entity'. So deciding what to include or not include, and how to organize them, could have been done in infinitely different ways. No matter which way was chosen, someone would take issue with the approach. I am a fan of consistency, so emulating John's existing organization seemed to be a pragmatic approach. I also was not up for trying to use a 'completist' approach using my 3122 different entities database, this would have resulted in a set of albums.

So I added developed a set of blank pages which folks can use to add whatever countries they desired quickly and easily. I will be working on the second section of John's organization ('Territories and Possessions') but note that this will double the size/number of pages. I will also see about adding an index.

This stuff takes a fair amount of development work (first effort was about 200 man hours) and I am still working through recovery from my kidney transplant so I am unsure of when I might complete the 'Territories and Possessions' effort.
Don
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the explanation. I wish you great success in your recovery from the transplant operation. I appreciate your many valuable contributions to this forum over the years.
D. Buss
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2711 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish you great success in your recovery from the transplant operation. I appreciate your many valuable contributions to this forum over the years. every day.

I doubt that we could all behave without you. That aside, You looked pretty good thru the MPOS Zoom presentation last Sunday.
Valued Member
Canada
322 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   6:39 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your album is looking very good Don and as angore said "more choices is good"!

And of course, as you have already mentioned, we should be really grateful to johnsim03 for the tremendous amount of work he put into creating his ASFEC album.

Just a reminder for those who don't want to print their own, John's album is available to purchase on Amazon, very reasonably priced.

Don, here is to your complete recovery, may you go from strength to strength,
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   10:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have added a downloadable, searchable PDF Index for the ASFEC pages. This allows you to quickly lookup a country name to see which page is it located. You can download the index here
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/F..._SSHome.html

I am also working on the 'second' part which includes "Territories and Possessions" (as defined in John's original album); this should be released sometime this upcoming week.
Don
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   09:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part 2 - "Territories and Possessions" is now available for download.

This brings the total number of spaces for all stamps to 683, total number of pages to 247.
Don
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   11:02 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, Don!

Will you be adding Part 3 - Other Stamp Issuing Entities?

John
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps, I am still debating their inclusion and do not want to album to get too big. On the other hand, folks can choose to include what desire...
Don
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   4:03 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite right, Don. The framework is the important thing - and it also takes the most time (as you well know). The evolution of ASFEC, from the obsolete Seven Seas Album to the (wanky formatted and error-prone) Smithsonian Album, to the standardized editable versions, is quite remarkable, and is a huge improvement for the average ASFEC collector. Now it is a trivial matter to fine-tune to taste...

John
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 682Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05