Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anybody Looking For 85,000 Un 1997 China Terra Cotta Warriors Of Xian Booklets?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 848Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 09/11/2022   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lot 309 in the upcoming Kelleher collections auction:

Quote:
United Nations, 1997, China Terra Cotta Warriors of Xian, Massive Stock of unexploded Booklets of all three Agencies, comprising as follows: New York #718 var (22,500 booklets) Face per is $1.92, Brookman $12.50, totals $43,200 Face Value and $ $281,250 Brookman Retail; Geneva #316 var (26,400 booklets) Face per is 2.40 Chf = US$ 2.49 Face per, Brookman $13.50, totals $65,736 Face Value and $221,400 Brookman Retail; Vienna #232 var (33,000 booklets) Face per is 24 AS (converted to Euro @ 13.76 per Euro) = Euro 1.74 = US$ 1.86 Face per, Brookman $12.50, totals $61,380 Face Value and $412,500 Brookman Retail, astounding Face Value totals $170,316; Brookman Retail totals $915,150, a once -in-life-time opportunity to promte this popular and iconic Chinese Relics, housed in 273 cartons on several pallets that weigh 5,187 lbs, Very Fine. Shipping charges apply - weight 5187 lbs.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/v77662.cfm
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   04:44 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
promte

What is the meaning of promte?

- the possibility of being crushed by the boxes?!
- the possibility of being crushed by the freight charges?!
- the possibility of being crushed by the storage charges?!
- the possibility of heirs being buried in remainders?!

Wow, I sure wish I knew what that word meant...

John

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - While all of your possibilities ring true I do believe that they meant to say "promote". Let's face it, if after 25 years there are tens of thousands of these things still on a pallet in Danbury CT begging for pennies on the dollar they obviously need promotion of some sort. Spontaneous combustion was too much to hope for and a sudden explosion of interest in Xian seems unlikely at this juncture. Hopefully these booklets capture the heart of some kind philatelist who also happens to have a heavily reinforced stamp den floor structure and a passion for large UPS deliveries. Perhaps Mystic can give one away with every purchase of one of their album sets. OR, just think of the flyspecking opportunities!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   8:06 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could wallpaper your entire house with them.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 09/12/2022   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what they look like, not sure but I'm estimating about 6"x1.33" which is around 0.05 square feet. A roll of wall paper is about 60 square feet so around 1200 booklets yield one roll of wall paper.

85,000 booklets is about 70 rolls of wall paper. Which is enough for around 25 walls (10'x10')...not sure how many houses that is. Maybe only 1.

Wallpaper goes for $10-$20/roll on Amazon (probably cheaper at Lowe's), so value as wallpaper is around $700-$1400 or less.

I suspect labor to install might cost more than cost of installing regular wallpaper.

Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tiger Dude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect labor to install might cost more than cost of installing regular wallpaper.

That's a lotta lickin!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link.

We shall see if this is let go at pennies on the dollar vs. face or is reserved. If sold, then will the catalogs drop the catalog prices down to appropriate levels? That never happened with the auction dispersal of Feigenbaum/Questa/Format International stock in huge lots (Leaders of the World, etc.) vs. Scott catalog values, for example. True, these weren't dumped on the market in large quantities if I remember right, but then literal tons of these are probably still sitting in storage and hanging over the market.
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/13/2022 4:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Took a gander on eBay to see what these are selling for (sold items) and there is a seller in Belgium selling tons of them in auctions for between 1 and 3 dollars a booklet. Other sellers have gotten between 99 cents and around nine dollars, but the average seems to be between 2 and 3 dollars. So, in theory you could make money over a period of several lifetimes and endless packing and shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/260/i.html...H_Complete=1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6133 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would of bought them at face for $170,000 and held them a few years and then donated them to charity for a tax write off of $915,000 . Not bad for a $745,000 reduction on a tax return .Who is laughing now ?

Now looking to buy them again ,maybe what ? 1/10 or 1/15 of catalog ,or even 1/20 of cat. Let me run this thru about $13,000 purchase at Kelleher and now another $915,000 donation to the APS ,BOY !!! a $900,000 tax write off .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would of bought them at face for $170,000 and held them a few years and then donated them to charity for a tax write off of $915,000 . Not bad for a $745,000 reduction on a tax return .Who is laughing now ?

Now looking to buy them again ,maybe what ? 1/10 or 1/15 of catalog ,or even 1/20 of cat. Let me run this thru about $13,000 purchase at Kelleher and now another $915,000 donation to the APS ,BOY !!! a $900,000 tax write off .

A few questions and thoughts come to mind.

Who is going to issue an appraisal for a FMV of almost one million clams?

How are these valued at $900,000 plus if you only have a receipt for less than 2 % of that amount?

How come nobody has apparently done that yet?

Great advertisement for revised tax laws especially since the IRS is getting 87,000 more Special Agents.

From the IRS:

Quote:
The cost of the property to you or the actual selling price received by the qualified organization may be the best indication of its FMV. However, because conditions in the market change, the cost or selling price of property may have less weight if the property was not bought or sold reasonably close to the date of contribution.

The cost or selling price is a good indication of the property's value if:

The purchase or sale took place close to the valuation date in an open market,
The purchase or sale was at "arm's-length,"
The buyer and seller knew all relevant facts,
The buyer and seller did not have to act, and
The market did not change between the date of purchase or sale and the valuation date.

Floortrader - Let us know how it goes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8295 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who plans to go through them all looking for gradable examples?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Well you can buy a lot of 10,000 assorted worldwide stamps. The catalog value on that will be at least $5,000. Donate that. And do it twenty times. Of course, if the IRS looks into it, you are wearing an orange suit
Valued Member
99 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this. Does it mean the lot has been withdrawn by the consignor?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
623 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you could get a tax writeoff for mint stamps that cannot be used for valid postage in this country.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1511 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think you could get a tax writeoff for mint stamps that cannot be used for valid postage in this country.

First the UN NY issue is valid in this country.

Second "valid" really does not apply. Used stamps are a valid donation (think the recent sale of the USED 1 cent magenta British Guiana). Likewise a signed Babe Ruth baseball can be donated at its value.

Scott is a published and recognized retail guide of value.

If the owner cannot move these booklets, the owner could be buried with them to have an army for protect in the afterlife. That was the original presumed purpose.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 848Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05