Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Two Shades Of #29B?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 519Next Topic  
Valued Member

68 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Riley111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
...or is the second stamp the rare greyish purple shade?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Riley111 - 09/13/2022 12:51 am

Valued Member
68 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riley111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should read "Two" shades...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8170 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Riley. Looks to me like the left one is faded. It is probably not a good idea to try to ID shades or hues on used stamps - even the left cancel looks faded

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36778 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion
Used stamps with prominent black postmarks,
always look darker, from the scanner interpretation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1263 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, those are both 29b (red lilac). 29b has a distinct greyish cast, similar to 29, but is perf 11.5x12, instead of perf 12, that's the easiest way to tell it from 29.

Some scans below (typical caveat of shades with my scanner, etc.). If those aren't distinct enough, I can pull some others for reference.

~Greg

29a (greyish purple, different perf)

29 (grey violet)

29b (red lilac)

29i (purple)

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36778 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting, I always had it, that Violet degraded to Grey, with colour changelings,
which made it difficult to ID used stamps.
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   08:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Purple ink from this period is notorious for changing colors (changelings) over time. In my opinion, only a person who has spent years studying the specific purple ink stamp issue and has the stamp in hand would be capable of an accurate ID.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36778 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dominican Republic 1901 Sc#126
Violet to Grey
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1897 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3) ear
Valued Member
68 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riley111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all who shared their expertise. This is very much appreciated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05