Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On A Wierd Block Of #708?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 488Next Topic  
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add countyboy01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Scan shows a normal block of 9 #708 on right and an unusual block on the left. Both are MNH. My first reaction to the oddball block was light fading, but the colours on the individual stamps change gradually from stamp-to-stamp and never do reach the proper colours. Any thoughts? If it is a printing error, how could such an effect happen? Thanks in advance. Neil.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4081 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion: Faded due to unequal light exposure.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add countyboy01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would not the remaining colours have faded by a similar amount? The brown looks pretty much just as strong in all the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9036 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Colors are affected differently.
Valued Member
23 Posts
Posted 09/13/2022   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add countyboy01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Was my first impression, but the progression of fading looked odd. Cheers.
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   11:23 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Potentially a 'repellex' created flaw.

GJP
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
617 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same as gportch.

If it is a repellex error, it would have decent value. Might be worth sending for expertizing.

It's hard to tell from the scan if it is simply a changeling. Normally a changeling changes the colour, it does not fade the colour. I have never seen this stamp fading like this.

BTW: gportch does expertizing for the VGGF
Edited by 3Dadeo - 09/16/2022 1:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4584 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Potentially a 'repellex' created flaw.

What is repellex? The use of this term means absolutely nothing to me, and likely to most other readers.

That said, this block looks very typical of light-fading, the red end of the spectrum fading first, thus the yellow fading out.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
617 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A "repellex" error occurs when the printing plate is not cleaned properly (leaving some chemicals on the surface) and the ink does not adhere properly. There are many examples with Canadian stamps (though rare) and they all command good prices.
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a US stamp that John Becker ran a sunlight exposure test on, fading and color shifting is clear.

I think the OP stamp block is light fade. Rather than spend money on a cert, I would take another block and run a test like John did. It should not take more than a week or two if the block is placed in direct sunlight.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
617 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
True. I am not saying it isn't a sun fade, but it is a possible "repellex" error.

A simple test would be a good idea. Just be sure to use the correct stamp as this came in two printings, one of which is known for its "changeling" ability.

O/P needs to confirm which stamp this is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This issue was particularly subject to color changes when exposed to sunlight. At the time, Bileski sold sets that had been exposed to "the harsh northern sun" with dramatic changes in color.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
617 Posts
Posted 09/16/2022   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but this is not a colour changeling, hence I would like to know which printing it is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05