Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does USPS Publish Sales Of Specific Commemorative Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if the USPS posts weekly or monthly sales of its many commemorative stamps. If so, where can I find the information?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think they do. I wish they did. This information would be great to know from a public transparency and market research perspective.

It would also give in an insight as to what's popular, which may or may not translate into future collectability.

Have any of you heard anecdotally, which 2022 issues are popular sellers?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1500 Posts
Posted 09/14/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's US Specialized Catalog lists commemorative quantities, but you have to wait for some time to have it published. Now I may be dumb as a brick, so please tell me how weekly or monthly sales figures of individual commemorative stamp designs would be useful and for what purpose.

Regarding commemorative, especially modern commemoratives, guessing potential value from quantities issued is a bit of witchcraft. Popular issues are over purchased, and the unpopular issues tend to have lower demand from collectors. Issued varieties of the commemoratives may carry special value, but its rare that you know that when the material is originally being sold.

Market Research? Regular issues, especially the higher denomination ones are both issued in low numbers and purchased in lower quantities by collectors. So, how many full sheets of express mail stamps do you want to put away on speculation, 5, 10, 50, 100 or $100, $1000 or $5000 face?
Valued Member
430 Posts
Posted 09/15/2022   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a marketing, financial and ultimately ratepayer perspective, the financial success of the USPS is very important. Other than raising rates on competitive services (e.g. packages) and implementing temporary surcharges, opportunities for revenue are slim. When the Elvis Presley stamp was issued in 1993, that fiscal year's line item for stamp sales revenue was probably way over budget. I expect if a Michael Jackson stamp were to be issued in the future, it would provide great extra revenue, because just like the Elvis stamp, many people would purchase the sheet to frame or otherwise never use for postage or philatelic purposes. I think the USPS should examine and release sales each year for stamp issues, that way the Board and public knows what issues are successful. For example, if the USPS were to release a sheet of "string instruments" and sales were dismal, why issue in the future "brass instruments" or "woodwind instruments?" I personally think it's a waste of resources to release commemorative postage issues that don't have vast common interest.I know that statement is probably controversial and we should honor historical figures, but it seems like each year there are issues to literary or scientific achievers that aren't exactly household names.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think it's a waste of resources to release commemorative postage issues that don't have vast common interest.I know that statement is probably controversial and we should honor historical figures, but it seems like each year there are issues to literary or scientific achievers that aren't exactly household names.

Part of a stamp's purpose is to educate. They alert you to people and things that you may not know about and offer an opportunity to learn something new. They also encourage people to pursue new employment opportunities, hobbies, research, or literary works.

Besides, how do you define common interest? Common interest varies per group, building, city, state, religion, race, etc. It is impossible to please all the people all the time. I do think they should get more import/feedback from the general public but someone is always going to get left out and unhappy with any stamp.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05