Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Editing Stamp Albums – How To Or Not To Deal With Formats

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,221Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's get one thing clear: I am not complaining the album gets it wrong. That is why the title reads 'how to or not to' and not 'how not to.'

If anyone got anything wrong, for my preferences at this moment - not at the time -, it was I who got it wrong. But that is water under the bridge.

The posts are more to show things you should consider when you choose how to display your stamps. There have been enough threads in which people starting out asked that question.

Designing your own pages is not what most people do when they start collecting a country. Most will look for an album. Later, you may come to the conclusion you would rather not have broken up a block or strip, or you may not. To each his own!

There are enough examples in the DAVO part II that show strips of five were broken up in 1973 but from 1980, irrespective of being a continuous design, were not broken up.

I agree in part the Battle of Hastings set is not a continuous design. The design is taken from the Bayeux Tapestry, a 70-metres long tapestry that is continuous. The intention of the strip, using parts of the tapestry, is to mimic the tapestry. In that sense, it is continuous.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 09/20/2022 03:13 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36798 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Personally, I am in full agreeance with Drew.
I am a slave to Steiner's pages.
I just adore his layouts, and, they are consistant across 400 stamp albums.

Yes I did try personal pages, like the diagonal of the Hastings,
but I found it irritating as a flipped the pages of my work.

I also add odd pages amongst Steiner, to illustrate blocks, postmarks,
ephemera or what ever.
Not every body's choice, but sits well as I progress.

It took a while to break apart a mint strip, at the time it felt like treason,
but like my hinging, one evolves to ones own style.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3567 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For multi-design issues, Scott prefers blocks, pair, strips, etc. because it their philosophy and it carries over to their printed albums. Those that use Scott wait to see how Scott defines strips, blocks, coil strips. etc. The catalog definition of major varieties is directly related to the album.

Steiner follows Scott format for most stamp formats used on page. For example, some 20 stamp panes can have 4 designs as a horizontal strip or a vertical strip.

For Steiner, it is easy to create custom layouts given everything is 8 1/2 x 11 paper but with pre-printed albums it requires wide format printers, etc, if one wants to do something closure to original when adding new pages,

This is why I abandoned Scott National 30 years ago. I did not like the fact that the premier US album ignored common varieties because they had a lower case suffix for a catalog number.
Al
Edited by angore - 09/20/2022 06:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   3:02 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hasting strip was, I think, a GB first in being issued as a strip. It was designed to be, and issued as, a complete group, reflecting the nature of the Tapestry itself. Collectors and album-makers can do with it what they wish, but it wasn't intended to be split up into singles or groups of three. That's just lack of imaginative design on the part of Steiner and Davo - nothing new there, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
4588 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To paint broadly, printed albums are targeted toward basic collecting. The more specialized the collection, the increasing need for making/editing your own pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It gets even more challenging with plate blocks, especially with 6 or more stamps in the block. Scott albums use frame sizes for either 4 or 6 stamps with the selvage at either the top or bottom. That's fine for rotary issues (PB of 4) but flat plate printings can also have plate numbers down either side and selvages of varying size. Scott also likes to jam the frames too close together. Consequently, I wind up making a lot of my own pages.

For example, a horizontal commemorative PB of 10 won't fit horizontally within the borders on a page. Vertical orientation solves the problem, as illustrated below with the 3¢ Louisiana Purchase issue (#325).

Example 2 is the Pan-American Exposition Issue (#294-299) where Scott wants to cram 6 plate blocks of 6 onto one page. I was forced to make three separate pages to accommodate the different size blocks at 2 per page - I refuse to shorten large blocks.
Edited by uboatnut - 09/20/2022 5:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@uboatnut

I like those pages. They are easy on the eyes and make those blocks stand out.

Personally, I am not a fan of pages that try to fit as many stamps as possible and make it look all were issued as a single set.
Still, it is cost effective.
Pillar Of The Community
1104 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the eight (8) Battle of Hastings stamps could be broken up and displayed pretty much any way a collector wants to. They could be mounted as two singles + two groups of three -- or two singles + three groups of two. Or as eight singles. Each would work just fine.

This is because they do not have a continuous design, meaning each stamp is not directly continued on the next stamp in such a way that separating them damages the artwork or image. In a continuous design, separating stamps breaks up the artwork or image into small pieces which are odd to look at. But the Hastings stamps are already broken up as eight separate images from the Hastings tapestry. That's the way they were designed. Too bad since one continuous strip of stamps might have looked even better. But since they're already separate, mounting them separately in whatever way fits your album page seems perfectly fine -- to me, at least. You may see it differently, of course.

In mounting my stamps, I try not to have too many fixed rules, but among my general (and occasionally breakable) rules are:
(a) no diagonal mounting of strips of stamps -- which gives me vertigo
(b) avoid vertical mounting of stamps (where viewing stamps requires turning the album sideways)
(c) avoid breaking up continuous designs if at all possible
(d) mount stamps as blocks of four rather than as strips of four (just personal preference)
(e) do not mount stamps with selvage attached unless the selvage is part of the design. I tried doing this for awhile (it seems popular especially in Germany for some reason) until I realized I don't collect selvage; I collect stamps.
. . . and so on.

Each of us will have our own "sometimes breakable rules" which is part of what makes the hobby personal and individualized. I like looking through other people's collections in person or online because I find it interesting to see other ways of displaying stamps -- even if I occasionally think "I wouldn't do it that way". I have to admit to that. But more often I get new ideas about how to mount stamps. I've even mounted a few stamps backwards, meaning back side up next to the same stamp image side up, because the paper the stamp was printed on was interesting to see, an idea I saw in someone's collection. Older European collections sometimes mounted stamps not always in (boring) straight lines as we tend to do, but in curved lines or in other shapes or groupings. That something I haven't tried, but I'm tempted to. I think I'll need a protractor to do that.
Edited by DrewM - 09/25/2022 03:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, what to do when aesthetics clash with sequence? DAVO's Great Britain page 23 holds the third issue of 1961, the sole issue of 1962, and the first four issues of 1963 (the year stamp collecting forever changed). Even if you produce your own pages, you will run into that one stamp that just does not fit: the stamp catalogued € 0.30 for which you would have to spend € 4 on a new Lindner T page.

It does appear DAVO preferred symmetry over sequence. It moved the second issue of 1963 to the top right corner, next to that of 1961 and above the issue of 1962. Placing that 'Centenary of the Paris Postal Conference' stamp from 1963 either between the two 'Freedom from Hunger' or 'National Nature Week' stamps was not seen as an option. Nor was placing it in a way it would be flanked by the former set at top and latter at bottom an option. The 1961 set does not allow for symmetric placement.

Personally, I find the symmetry - something DAVO held on to for a long time - pleasing to the eye. However, my philatelo-CDO (OCD, but with the letters in the order they should be) also kicks in: I do not like breaking the timeline unless it is a permanent set or reprint.

The issue did not arise with page 23a, holding stamps with phosphor bars. As the Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference stamps of 1961 were not issued with phosphor bars, all, neatly, fell into place.

Of course, other album editors may ignore symmetry and place that stamp to the right of the 'Freedom from Hunger' or to the left of the 'National Nature Week' set.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So many great opinions, and none of them are wrong. My personal preference is singles, but if enough strips or blocks come my way I will probably just add a page as needed depending on the size.

- Lance
Learn More...
United States
10974 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   1:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Designing pages for yourself certainly makes for many challenging decision points. Now imagine trying to design pages for the general public; it is a lose-lose proposition.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2114 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very much so, Don.

The photogravure MacKennals of Great Britain come in three size groups: large, intermediate, and small. These stamps were overprinted for use at the British Post Offices. They come with all four overprints: British, Spanish, and French currency, and Tangier. Some of the overprints come on different sizes. The 10 and 15 centimos 'Spanish' overprints both come on two sizes. The 10 centimos stamp comes in the intermediate and small formats, the 15 centimos in the large and small formats. Naturally, I want all.

I doubt any album page allows for the varieties. Maybe Stanley Gibbons once produced one. I do not think there will be many collectors that look for the varieties. Most, probably, do not even know they exist. I have yet to see a set offered with a variety. Listings of individual values, almost never state which size it is. I did find the 10 centimos stamp in the alternative size from the one included in the set. The 15 centimos intermediate stamp has proved very elusive in unmounted mint condition. I did see a few – not many – unused hinged stamps and a few used.

I do not think it would make economic sense for an album publisher to allow for the varieties for the few people that want all the size varieties.

I did prepare a page allowing for that elusive stamp. I could have included 'shades.'

Edit: I do wonder if DAVO ever considered adding loose GB overprints pages you can add to your GB album to its offering.
Edited by NSK - 09/25/2022 2:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Davo QEII pages didn't work because they tried to cram too much in. And, as they didn't leave a different spacing between the 1961 and 1963 issues, at first glance they appear to be from the same set. I decided on giving them a little more room:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
587 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used AlbumEasy to do the same thing with the KG6 and QE2 Coronation series. Both albums are available free from the AE website.

Edited by uboatnut - 09/28/2022 3:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I decided on giving them a little more room:

GeoffHa,

I really like your approach. Any idea (off the top of your head, of course) how long an average page takes to prepare? I'm just curious. I believe that your entire collection is presented on black quadrille leaves (if my memory serves me) and it seems to be a very practical method!

John
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,221Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05