Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gripper Cracks On Candain "Admiral" Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 492Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 09/17/2022   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI everyone.

I am just wondering if anyone in our forum has a good image of a 'gripper crack' on a 1 cent green Admiral stamp (Scott #104)? Also, does this also occur in the margin areas of the stamps as well?

Thanks a lot.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36304 Posts
Posted 09/17/2022   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI
Gripper crack maybe on Sc#599
http://goscf.com/t/15988 br /
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8111 Posts
Posted 09/17/2022   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu, I do not know the answer to your question but like to make a suggestion.
If you post this in the Canadian forum you might get more answers!
Also, here in the States "Gripper Cracks" only occur on rotary press issues. Were the Admirals printed on a rotary press?

Peteer
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TY everyone who responded to my question.

I first made a posting in the area that rod222 suggested but got a statement that I should start again by making a new thread.

I did make a new thread but forgot to put it in the correct place in the forum. I have been away too long

Peeter, to the best of my knowledge I don't think the Admirals were printed on a rotary press but I could be mistaken.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1338 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Canada, there is a reference on grippers marks, for the Edwards experiment coils and some admirals coils (1c and 2c), scott number 131 viii and 132 v (not 104) see abstract from the BNA topics of Sept 1972 by Dicketts.
This reference is also listed in Marler's book on Admirals, (pp 191)
(Image not very clear as it is a photo taken with my phone from a copy of the article in BNA topics)
If you meant crack lines on 104, these are often called hairlines and do exist on many canadian stamps, admirals and also the 1c Quebec tercentenary 1908 stamps.

Edited by Gilles le timbre - 09/18/2022 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3636 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very early Admiral stamps were wet printed on flat plate presses. However, most Admiral stamps were wet and dry printed on sheet-fed rotary presses. The wet printing sheet-fed rotary presses had two printing plates. The dry printing sheet-fed rotary presses had three printing plates.
Edited by jogil - 09/18/2022 7:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8111 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil, interesting, but did the plates fasten by means of grippers? It so, that would mean that gripper cracks are possible

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
371 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plates and grippers have nothing to do with each other. The gripper is the mechanism that 'grips' the leading edge of the paper and pulls it through the press. Grippers can leave an 'embossed' impression but that would normally be trimmed off the final printed sheet. There should never be any inked evidence of gripper contact with a printed sheet.

GJP
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   5:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is not the case with US Stickney rotary press stamps; gripper cracks occur when the plate gripper are tightened to the point of creating cracks in the plate (as outlined in Rod's link to Russ's posts).

This is a great presentation from Richard's site; note comment on how the cracks only occur near teh joint lin stamps.

https://www.rfrajola.com/PDR2017/Sh...Shoults2.pdf

I'll default to others on Canadian stamps production.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
3636 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the rotary presses used for Admiral stamps, hairlines on stamps occur from cracks on the printing plate due to stress from being bent. With regards to the only Canadian stamps that were printed from the U.S. Stickney press, they are as follows: Scott/Unitrade 162, 163, 163b, 164, 164ai, 165, 165a, 166, 166b, 167, 169, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 191, 191a, 192, 195, 195d, 196, 196d, 197, 197c, 205, 206, 207. Thus, it may be possible that some of these stamps may also have gripper cracks on them. This may be something to look into.
Edited by jogil - 09/24/2022 08:37 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05