Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am A University Student Looking For Participants In My Dissertation/Thesis On Stamp Collectors!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 974Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CeylonStampsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I have been a stamp collector for a few years now, mainly focusing on Ceylon stamps. I am from the UK, I am a student at the University of Northampton and I am studying geography for my degree.

As part of my final year research/dissertation/thesis I am studying geographies of stamp collecting and how stamp collectors form their collection to fit their identity.

*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***

Thank you all
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2144 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am studying geographies of stamp collecting

Please, define "geography of stamp collecting."
How do you adjust for sampling an overwhelmingly North-American biased population?

Quote:
how stamp collectors form their collection to fit their identity.

How does that relate to geography?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   08:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of questions. He also stated

Quote:
...I researched stamp forums ...

but apparently, he did not research the rules to the forums.
Don
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 09/18/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting questions.

To what extent do topical and specialized collections reflect and reinforce social identities? When they don't, why not?

What stamps one soaks off will reflect the geography of one's broader social networks and communication patterns. Who do you know and who do you communicate with? If you are working in a firm, who are you buying from and selling to? Who were your grandparents, more likely to have used stamps than email, communicating with?

Valued Member
Malta
141 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting choice for a dissertation subject - I don't recall ever coming across any academic work related specifically to links between philately and geography.

I am eager to hear more details about your work and what methodology you are using. Will it be survey-based, or are you conducting interviews? Are you looking for participants from just this forum, or from other avenues as well?

I may be interested in participating, depending on what the research consists of *** They cannot contact you until they have 50+ posts as the rules state - Mod*** .

On another note - Ceylon is of course a fascinating country to collect. Given the subject of your research, it would be interesting to hear how you chose to focus on this country.
Edited by Halfpenny Yellow - 09/19/2022 7:29 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 09/19/2022   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While the extreme cynical side of me wonders if you used to be a Nigerian Prince in need of help, I too am interested in hearing more. What is your actual thesis and how do you plan to use this forum to gather the data? Where else are you collecting data points? How does a stamp collecting identity align with geography? I assume the focus is on those who collect specific countries.

You also have forum rules to work within, but I do want to see how this plays out.

- Lance
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moldman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems some of you can't relate stamp collecting to geography. I started collecting world stamps around the age of 11 and by the time I was 13 or so I knew all the countries of the world (That issued stamps) and to this day geography is very important to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2144 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems you have only one concept of the geography of stamp collecting and jump to conclusions.
For an academic, OP did a very poor job of delimiting the subject of his thesis. Consequently, the question was what he meant.

Looking at a map to see where a stamp is from is one way. Personally, I prefer to visit places rather than gaping at a map. It, however, is difficult to understand how looking at a map relates to 'ídentity.'
Edited by NSK - 09/30/2022 2:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4618 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
geographies of stamp collecting

This seems to assume a very traditional answer that stamp collectors collect one country or group of countries. I don't fit that mold at all.

Quote:
how stamp collectors form their collection to fit their identity

A much better approach! This allows for a broad set of answers which is much more reflective of the diversity of collectors. I know of serious collectors who collect Disney stamps, worldwide postage due stamps, worldwide postal cards, worldwide meters, worldwide perfins, royalty on picture postcards, etc. Most collectors I know have several collecting interests - often one or more very serious collections and one or more just for fun. No constraints of geography.

I don't see a well-defined thesis statement which would be needed to start collecting meaningful data.
Edited by John Becker - 09/30/2022 2:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2144 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder whether OP ever will return to the site or just 'advertised' his/her email address.

Quote:
I don't see a well-defined thesis statement which would be needed to start collecting meaningful data.

Yet, that is what they teach you to do when you are going to write a thesis.
Edited by NSK - 09/30/2022 2:33 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
143 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   2:42 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider helping with the project as I live near the student but remain unconvinced that I will be able to help.
Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the original poster broke several rules and has, has not come back since the day he posted this, and I have not seen him post the same request in other philatelic forums; I remain dubious as to his/her intentions. Folks should always use caution when being asked for ANY kind of information online no matter how good the 'story' might be.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2660 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The OP also posted this request on reddit. I took a look at the survey but didn't take it.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am studying geographies of stamp collecting

What do you mean?
Are you studying the geographies of the collectors' locations, or the countries they collect? Doing either would still be too broad and over reaching. There are millions of geographic locations. For this to work you would need to narrow your research to comparing two or three narrowly and specifically defined geographic locations.

Quote:
form their collection to fit their identity.

What do you mean by this?? What definitions/classifications are you using for identity?? I hope this was answered in the part that was edited out.

All in all, I think you need to have a long talk with your advisor.
Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   3:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
None of it was 'answered' in the original post and given that he has not come back since his original post I cannot help but feel that this was not legitimate...locking the thread.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 974Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05