Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Queen Elizabeth Stamp?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,532Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last I checked Hawaii was a part of the United States.

Queen Isabella is part of a tableau. We are talking about stamps that honor A foreign leader/royalty.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1814 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that Hawaii was part of the US when Kamehameha was king.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3652 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Harry Potter can be on a US stamp then anyone can be on a US stamp.

As of late I think the CSAC rules are used just as an excuse to disqualify a designs rather than a criteria for all stamps issued.

The US had the Champions of Liberty and Thor Heyerdahl. I would put the Queen above these on important to US.

Al
Edited by angore - 09/20/2022 06:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If Harry Potter can be on a US stamp then anyone can be on a US stamp.

I fail to understand the logic here. Plus we have had homages to traitors on US stamps, and you are using Harry Potter as the low bar? In any case, although she clearly did some fine things during her life, I don't really see a legitimate reason for the US to issue a stamp for Queen Elizabeth. We probably will for political purposes anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8242 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When we get this stamp, are we going to drive on the left side of the road also?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1621 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Foreign born but American citizens, no? At that time that would include just about everybody, no?

Foreign born as in foreign born royalty who was royalty in some non-USA country. Here in the USA we have no monarch system of government. Queen Isabella is a foreign born example. Grace Kelly, born here in the USA, left to be royalty in another non-USA country.

Edit:

Quote:
Last I checked Hawaii was a part of the United States

Hawaii and its monarchy was an independent nation until some from the USA eliminated the monarchy and pull the islands into US control and then into the USA proper. Even parcels from Hawaii in the late 19th Century were assessed the 5 cent foreign parcel post delivery fee when delivered in the United States as it was still considered an independent country lead by a monarchy.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/20/2022 10:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been an entertaining discussion. I have yet to see one example of a foreign leader/monarch as the sole subject of a US stamp. There has been some stretching which garners an A for effort however.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1621 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Queen Isabella is part of a tableau. We are talking about stamps that honor A foreign leader/royalty.

Columbus was representing the Queen in his explorations. She financed it and was so recognized for those facts.

By the way while the USA has not issued a stamp for QEII, British Virgin Islands stamps are issued in US Dollar Currency amounts. BVI adopted the US currency in 1959.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The US had the Champions of Liberty and Thor Heyerdahl. I would put the Queen above these on important to US.

I would to an extent disagree. The question to ask is, What particular act(s) by the honoree is significant to the United States, or what ideal did that honoree embody?
In the case of Thor Heyerdahl, we might say bravery, conquering a challenge, exploration, etc. These are all things to which we as a nation pay service. Martin Luther King, Thomas Edison, John Glenn, and hundreds of others made obvious contributions. The Queen's role in American affairs is much more ambiguous: she may have been Head of State in the UK and the Commonwealth, but she was not head of government in any of them. So besides a ceremonial snub or favor towards an American representative (political or cultural), what did she do that positively influenced, in real fashion, the US?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
692 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When we get this stamp, are we going to drive on the left side of the road also?

Actually, there is a part of the United States where they drive on the left. The Virgin Islands Territory.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, there is a part of the United States where they drive on the left. The Virgin Islands Territory.

I worked on St Thomas for a while and drove a left-hand drive vehicle on the left-hand side. Scary for both me AND the other drivers.
Valued Member
154 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think QE2's best chance to get on a US stamp is being depicted with a US person--maybe a series with various visits of US presidents? But seems like a bit of a stretch. I also wonder how the public would receive it, especially if she were depicted solo. I think she was generally popular among US people so maybe it could sell well, but on the other hand I think some people might be turned off by it and wouldn't want it on their mail.
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting thread. Ironically, a King George III stamp might generate less rancor than QE2 in the US now, but that says more about the US educational system. On the balance, I'd say Queen Elizabeth was a friend of the US, and is worthy of being honored by a US stamp dedicated to her. At the moment, she is probably the person to appear on the most world stamps without ever having been depicted on a US stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
4770 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also wonder how the public would receive it, especially if she were depicted solo. I think she was generally popular among US people so maybe it could sell well, but on the other hand I think some people might be turned off by it and wouldn't want it on their mail.

If every new stamp required 100% approval from the pubic, we'd never get any new issues. Fortunately, that is not the case and we have many designs to choose among to post our mail, (some which I like, some which I don't. LOL)

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in the future if/when a QEII stamp is issued/denied by the USPS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has the British PO issued any stamps with a US president as the primary subject? I don't have my catalogs in front of me, so I really don't know. Kennedy in 1963-65?? Anyway, I am talking about Great Britain, not British Empire. Some British colonies (some already written about in this topic) issue stamps like Procter and Gamble manufactures toilet paper. Heck, some of THOSE may have issued stamps ACTUALLY commemorating toilet paper! Although the US hasn't issued stamps with the primary purpose of commemorating a foreign leader (or so I believe), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the USPS issues a QEII commemorative stamp. She's the longest ruling monarch of one of our closest allies. The USPS might try to justify it by saying that they HAVE issued stamps in the past of foreigners, some having been discussed already in this thread), so a QEII stamp wouldn't be such a leap in policy.

ETA: Although I don't think they will issue one, if they do I will get some myself. Although she wasn't American, I still feel she was a fine leader.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 09/20/2022 8:37 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,532Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05