Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Romanian Stamp Mi8lx In An Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
25 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add racines to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody!

I need your opinion about a stamp that will be soon sold by Sandafyre. https://www.sandafayre.com/lots/7079-romania-1
What do you think about it? Is it a forgery?
According to Michel 8xl has simple paper (einfaches Papier).
As I do not have a cancellation catalogue for Romania I cannot comment about the cancellation.
Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Send note to Staff
Edited by racines - 09/21/2022 02:49 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36838 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
Not an expert.
PS: Your scan offered is far from ideal to offer opinions.

The FRANCO JASSY I have seen was on an 1858 40pa Blue
The typeface showed clear serrifed letters, and was in violet ink.

The points on identifying forgeries, on yours, are well covered up by the
postmark.

I have a 5 album collection of Romania, collected over 10 years,
but my Moldavia / Moldavia -Wallacia stamps are almost non existant
because I fail to take risks on the stamps, esp at their price.

Be cautious, I would want a certificate at that price.
Good Luck.

Try Here
Scott #15 1862 Wove paper

http://www.romaniastamps.com/

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 09/21/2022 03:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not contact Sandafayre? I have known them to make mistakes, but they do not do so intentionally.
I am pretty sure they will give you an answer if you asked them why they consider it a genuine stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
795 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My interpretation of their T&Cs is that they don't guarantee genuineness:

Quote:
4. It is the buyers [sic] responsibility to inspect the lots and make enquiries prior to the auction...Individually described items or sets which are not part of a larger collection or group which are forged or reprinted but not described as such or otherwise not as described can be returned for a refund...

So, Sandafayre won't knowingly sell a forgery without saying it is (people do collect those, after all), but they won't take an extraordinary steps to confirm the authenticity of anything they sell, that's all on the buyer. Caveat emptor, always.
Edited by classic_paper - 09/21/2022 09:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... and make enquiries prior to the auction ...

If they do not have an adequate answer, be careful.
Edited by NSK - 09/21/2022 10:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The inspection applies to large lots. You can return a stamp that gets a negative cert even though you have not inspected it. How many buyers from around the World travel to Sandafayre to inspect a $400 stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6134 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 par Moldavia-Walachia on wove paper looks good ,a very nice copy .I would not be affraid to bid on it .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1255 Posts
Posted 09/21/2022   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bid or buy with caution. If you have the resources to hand (a good catalogue or on-line resource), then you can compare a genuine example with the example Sandafayre are selling before making your decision. You could always approach them and say that your bid is subject to an extension for a "good" certificate / opinion from an expertising group such as The Royal Philatelic Society. If they are convinced the stamp is genuine they will take up the bid on these terms. It's standard practice with a valuable stamp or with one which is widely forged.
Valued Member
Sweden
25 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add racines to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for your answers! It helped me a lot in making a decision.
I will wait with Mi8xl till I find one with certificate and have no doubts about genuineness.
But as you advised me I will write to Sandafyre, maybe in the future it will be similar situations and it is good to know their approach.
Once again, thanks for finding time to answer to my question. It feels good to have people on this forum with both expertise and experience in philately.
Edited by racines - 09/22/2022 02:39 am
Valued Member
Sweden
25 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add racines to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The answer I've gott...

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36838 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Very professional!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with them
* pricy
* quite a few errors (stamps with watermark other than described in set), mounted when unmounted described, stamp with bad gum when described fine unmounted mint).

That said, the quality of there stamps, generally is good. Also, they do honest business and refund if the items are not as described. That is the reason I still feel comfortable bidding on their lots. But you do need to check.

Over the last years I have bid on quite a number of items and the majority was very good. The others had issues and they offered me a refund. I should just learn to opt for their full refund and returning the lot, instead of the alternative partial refund and keeping the lot. It is quite difficult to find replacements for single stamps from sets.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   04:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at their auctions on occasion, and have found their estimates quite high by my standards. That doesn't mean they're intrinsically dearer than the places I usually buy from - the bidders set the prices, after all - but that their reach is better. Maybe one to sell through!
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3357 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel is a poor forgery..
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05