Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apfelbaum Stamps Problems

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,199Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RickK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently (4 monhs ago) contacted Apfelbaum to get an apprasial on a stamp collection I had. I did some cursory review of their reputation and unfortunately it was not through enough.

I followed their directions to a tee and have everything well documented. AFter receiving an appraisal of 2.9% of Scott value and several attempts to persuade me that it was a good deal. I requested the collection be returned to me.

When I received the colection several binders were missing so I contacted Ken Apfelbaum to resolve it. After getting two dealer estimates for replacement costs as asked by Ken and given him.

After 2 months of investigation and insurance processing I was informed by Ken that in the past 25 years Apfelbaum has never lost a collection nor failed to compensate a customer properly. Therefore he did not submit a claim and has suggested that I must be lying about the alleged loss.

I would be very grateful to get any info on how to handle thiis and any info feedback form people who have experienced problems with Apfelbaum.

If necessary I will keep all info confidential if you want.

I now realize after my experience and after reviewing some of the forums that Apfelbaum is a total con man and everthing he tells me is a total lie..

Again any help is greatly appreciated anf I would very much like to cause some pain for him because of arrogant attitude that I can't touch him. After reviewing my options the one positive thing here is that I live in NY and Apfelbaum is in PA and the whole deal is interstate and internet based. This gives me 5 different Federal agencies who investigate this.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a different company since the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RickK

My friend owned a stamp store and he told me many moons ago not to deal with Apfelbaum. He had propblems with them and said they were not very "ethical".

Jerry B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6051 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would echo what JBCEV80 said , it was 1966 at the Ogden Hills Stamp Club in Chicago ,IL when three older members told this 17 year old stamp collector to stay away from Apfelbaum .

Over the years I have seen many of the collections sold by them , these collections have had serious problem with mis identies of stamps both in condition and always wrongly ID.ed as the most expensive type as shown in the catalog .

I have also read of problems various collectors have posted on many different chatboards about how they handle issues with customers none of these posting were written just to vent against the firm but were issues where the poster had a business dealing with them, with their purchase .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8809 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have thoroughly documented what you initially provided to Apfelbaum and what was returned as well as the conversations (hopefully emails or other written communications) I would start by filing a local police report. The claimed value of the material will dictate the level of potential misconduct. That being said don't expect much from LE in this day and age.

Pled guilty to bid rigging:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/atr...002/9864.htm
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Thinkstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must be different than most on this forum as I really never had a serious issue with Apfelbaums. I have returned several items over the decades, maybe more than with others? But Missy and I worked it out.

But I never sold anything to them.

I've bought dozens of collections (as much to get a country's Scott album). I've been buying prior to Martin Apfelbaum's passing and then on into 2021. These were not necessarily expensive collections. But I saw it as getting the stamps and Scott albums and/or mounts for the price of the stamps.

Since online photos came about, I do look closely at collections or single items, but I do that with all firms. I don't get as good a 'deal' as buying at auction, but they have been selling retail for several years now. Maybe in the past, when there were no online photos, I was more ignorant than now. Maybe ignorance is bliss. But looking back at some collections I bought I think I did OK.

But recently their prices got a lot higher, both for the value and for what I fell I could pay. Also, they seem to have more 'collections' with lots of duplicates of same stamp (to me lots = 3 or more).

Anyway, Apfelbaum is not all bad and no good. They do sell stuff.
Learn More...
United States
10765 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   11:36 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once a business has been convicted of wrongdoing, I do not wish to support them. For me, a conviction means people have been victimize and taken advantage of and I do not feel right in supporting a business even if I have not been the one they screwed.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4721 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Earl is rolling over in his grave. Bad company. The rest I have to say about the principals involved cannot be said here. Miss you Earl big time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
92 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to look forward to Earl Apfelbaum's weekly column in Linn's back in the 1970s. He always had something interesting or entertaining to write about. I haven't heard anything good about the company in recent years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've been buying prior to Martin Apfelbaum's passing

I am sorry, but "passing" to refer to Martin is right up there with the "some people did something" infamous comment.

Earl was minding his own business when a terrorist bombing blew him and all the others out of the sky over Lockerbie killing additional innocents on the ground. When the US cooperated in the release the bomber from his life sentence for the conviction of 270 counts of murder, he returned to his home country to a hero's welcome and three years living as a national hero. So much for the compassionate release story that he was shortly, weeks, to die from cancer.

In 2020 the actual bomb maker was arrested by has not yet been tried for the crime.

ECCLEFECHAN LOCKERBIE DUMFRIESSHIRE postmark

Aftermath

Edit: For better descriptions. And to add I have some prized items from Earl's auctions and price lists as well as from their tables at Westpex and elsewhere.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 09/22/2022 9:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Earl Apfelbaum was not killed at Lockerbee. Martin Apfelbaum was killed at Lockerbee.

PS - In 1968 Earl hired me as a describer at the age of 20 when he was near the end of his active involvement with his auction company. I took my leave when Earl turned over daily management of the firm to his son, Martin.
Edited by Richard Frajola - 09/22/2022 9:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It was a 'braino' rather than a typo. I knew it was Martin when I posted my first Flight 103 comment.

I am pissed (at terrorists) he was killed and I did conduct company business directly with him. I became more pissed when a judo buddy, Jeremy Glick died in a Pennsylvania field due to more terrorists about 13 years later, the day "some folks did something."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4721 Posts
Posted 09/22/2022   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard would you have any insight as to the two middle names Earl Panero Lopez Apfelbaum? Earl PL Apfelbaum.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RickK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys thanks for the responses but I need to get some detailed info anyone has on Apfelbaum problems.

I have revirewed the following posts and would like to talk to the posters and get more info if possible. Unfortunately I am a new member and not allowed to email. If you know the posters and can pass a message for me I would be very grateful.

1) https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...ly_ID=297376
2) http://goscf.com/t/43281&whichpage=2#371549
3) http://goscf.com/t/60786#523597

When I file against them a pattern of previous examples is helpful.

I am not a vindicative person but the arrogance and pomposity of Ken Apfelbaum is a great motivator to make him uncomfortable and to prevent anyone else from being screwed like me.

Again I appreciate any help.

Rick

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

1) Redwoodrandy -- posted above
2) Billsey -- has not been on SCF for about 7 weeks
3) Can't tell if it is jbcev80, Stamps1962 or revenuecollector as well as perhaps all three.

[Message Don (use "send note to staff" in lower right corner of each post) he is a moderator and may, just may explain how to get a message. The last time I explained it, I was limping for a week so no more of that. Also Don may be willing to forward a message to you which he has the ability to do as a moderator. Just be aware it is wholly his decision and this suggestion is no way meant to put pressure on anyone.]

You may benefit from this page: https://classic.stamps.org/Disciplinary-Action Also it seems there may be leverage via the APS if still maintaining membership. A phone call should answer that question.

If use use this search page, you will find no Apfelbaum: here, https://www.americanstampdealer.com...essState=All nor here, https://www.nsdainc.org/members/

Good luck!!

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36304 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   03:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2) Billsey -- has not been on SCF for about 7 weeks

6 days ago.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,199Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05