Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Name Of This One Penny Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 233Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EmilySloth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I am new to this, I'm 25 and thought it would be fun to buy stamps in an auction so I am just labelling things. The app I am using can not identify this stamp, what is it?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
54 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nuc5 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emily,

The stamp is the 1d Venetian Red Stanley Gibbons identification SG166 issued on January 1st 1880 with a catalogue value of ~ 3.00.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
3 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EmilySloth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nuc5. Thank you for your reply. How did you find all that info out ? Do you have a website or is that your own knowledge
Edited by EmilySloth - 09/23/2022 10:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the 1d stamp from what is known as the 'provisional issues.'

Nuc5 already identified it for you.
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding your question of how Nuc5 found out the information, he used the Stanley Gibbons catalogue info. Since you haven't indicated where you are located, the Stanley Gibbons catalogue may or may not be the most commonly used. For example if you are in North America, the Scott catalogues are the most commonly used and the stamp would have a different catalogue number.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4709 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stanley Gibbons is a British made stamp catalogue . Scott is the US made stamp catalogue collectors use to identify stamps.
Learn More...
United States
10728 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OP is in Great Britain.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the same stamp.

You may notice the letters in the corners are different. Each stamp in the sheet of 240 stamps had different letters. This was a measure to prevent forgery the Post Office used from the very first stamp issue on 6 May 1840.

A sheet had 20 rows of 12 stamps. Each row of twelve stamps would add to a shilling in postage. The twenty rows added to a pound.

The letters in the lower corner identify the position in the sheet. The letters appear in reversed order in the top corner. So, your stamp has 'corner letters' MF. This came from the thirteenth row (M). It was in the sixth position (F) in that row. The letter combinations ran AA, AB, , AL, BA, , BL, TA, , TK, TL.

The stamp I post here is the penultimate (K) stamp from the top row (A)

Your stamp has an identifiable cancellation from office number 760. This was used at Sudbury in Suffolk.
Edited by NSK - 09/23/2022 10:56 am
3 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EmilySloth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oooo, also in the box was a 1961 stanley gibbons stamp catalogue, so I can just find every stamp in there?

Im also using an app where I take a photo of the stamp and it finds me the stamp in this case it wasnt able to be read, which is where the catalogue will come in handy
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it should help identifying stamps up to 1960. What countries it identifies depends on which catalogue it is.

That app may not always be helpfull. British stamps used between 1912 and 1935 come with three watermarks. I expect the app cannot identify which watermark the stamp has. Also, many stamps of the reign of Queen Victoria come with different watermarks and plate numbers. The watermark, normally, will not be visible from a picture. The plate number can be hidden by a cancellation. If so, the app may give you an idea what type of stamp it is, but not which it is.

But those may be considerations for when you are a little more experienced. For now, keep in mind that two stamps that look the same may be very different.
Edited by NSK - 09/23/2022 12:23 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 233Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05