Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Excited To Start My Stamp Collecting Journey At Age 25.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 9 / Views: 482Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EmilySloth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

My dad surprised me with some stamps from an auction so I'm slowly sifting my way through.

There is a really special book which was a Christmas gift to a girl called molly in 1929! I hope I do molly proud

There are a few other peoples special collections.

I hope here I can get lots of help and advice.

There's lots of loose stamps in an old Cuban cigar box so I'm sorting them by country at the moment
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10728 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8095 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emily, and welcome!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EmilySloth,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

My personal bias is a used stamp loses the story of its journey in the postal service when it is removed from the cover it transported to its destination. Collecting postal history adds a whole new aspect to your journey in our hobby.

Wishing you many enjoyable future days in our hobby. Russ
Valued Member
United Kingdom
132 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   2:16 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, explore, find things you like... and collect!
3 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EmilySloth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Hoosierboy

Are you saying to NOT remove stamps? As in this box of stuff there is loads if envelopes with tha mans name on.. I was gonna take them off.. who woukd buy an envelope with someones address on
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36219 Posts
Posted 09/23/2022   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice Emily.
Preserve what you can, and as you progress you can make better
informed decisions.

Collecting 101
http://www.inheritedstampcollection.com/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3490 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1856 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and a lot of joy with your collection.

Quote:
Are you saying to NOT remove stamps? As in this box of stuff there is loads if envelopes with tha mans name on.. I was gonna take them off.. who woukd buy an envelope with someones address on

Naturally, it is for you to decide how you want to collect your stamps. From what you have written, your stamps, mostly, are classic. The definition of 'classic' in philately is not set in concrete. Most philatelists use it for the first century of stamp issues: 1840 1940. Some refer to the nineteenth century and Great Britain and Commonwealth collectors, sometimes, use it to refer to stamps issued before Queen Elizabeth's reign (1840 1952).

Stamps used on cover can carry a premium over used stamps. Being addressed to someone is irrelevant. A nice handwritten address on a nineteenth-century cover may even be preferred. The trade-off will always be between the added postal history value of an 'entire' and the space it takes up when you mount it, or, alternatively, being stored in a box where you will not enjoy it.

The older the envelope, the more interesting it will be. Envelopes, or, more generally, entires better preserve the full cancellation and help you to date the stamp.

There, however, always is the consideration of appearance. A very smudgy envelope may detract from the stamp's appearance and not add any value. Interesting cancellations and cancellations in other colours than black, or for very old British stamps red may even be worth a lot more. Again, there are exceptions. So, do not hesitate to ask what you have. For newer stamps, envelopes will not carry much extra monetary value. It, primarily, will be a matter of whether you like the complete picture (taking up a big space) or just the stamp.

Rod's remark holds very true:

Quote:
as you progress you can make better.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Emily and all,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Many folks enjoy just keeping the stamps which is fine with me. However, most stamps are produced in the hundred of thousands. They are of minimal value mostly marketed at the price needed for a dealer to cover their overhead costs and a small profit. Once removed from its envelope it becomes just another example of a stamp in a very big crowd of very available stamps.

However, the envelope contains not only the stamp the story of its journey including who sent and received it. Consider the following. A very widely used three cent stamp can be found on most first class letters mailed during the civil war years. Their current value is minimal except for a couple unusual errors and variances. However, those used on letters sent to or from President Lincoln are priceless especially when they contain their contents.

Personally, I hope you go slow on destroying the providences of your treasures by removing the stamps from their envelopes. Can you post an image of a few covers so others might better advise you if they have any significant collectable characteristicts?

Edited by hoosierboy - 09/24/2022 08:16 am
  Replies: 9 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.85 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05