Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Future Of Our Hobby - Collector's Club Of New York Discussion Sept. 21, 2022

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,175Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me thinks that the expectations for this Collectors Club video by some are vastly overshooting the goal which was for some younger professional philatelists to have a chat. It was not intended to be an international symposium of philately. It is four younger men discussing things via Zoom.

Expecting more is kind of like thinking that the United Nations should attend and administer your Town Council's meeting on raising tax rates for FY2023 and fixing the problem with trash pickup on Elm Street.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6138 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's get something clear ------ The future of Philately is a moving target . Nobody knows where it is going .

It is easier to say what is dying in the hobby than to call the future trends .

These guys are part of the dying system ,they know whats ending not what is happening and growing . They know the prices in catalogs are less important . They know the Stamp Societies are shrinking ,they know the album publishers are closer to break even as a business . They know magizines and stamp newspapers are things. of the past .

Tell me what has been growing and where are the trends in the past 4 years ,where are people's interest and where are the growing sales figures .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 09/24/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They know the prices in catalogs are less important . They know the Stamp Societies are shrinking ,they know the album publishers are closer to break even as a business . They know magizines and stamp newspapers are things. of the past .

And all because of technological progress. Collectors can now go online and see vast amounts of actual sale prices for auctions and retail/internet sales, interact on forums such as this one, create and print their own customized album and display pages and follow philatelic news from their computers.

The very fact that we can view their discussion while sitting by the pool demonstrates how things have evolved. Younger people are completely technology centric and technology and how to use and incorporate it is obviously going to continue to be the focus of growing philately.

Scott just digitized their catalogs after how many years of paper volumes? What took so long? IMO the hobby is way behind the curve in many respects but if you want to know what the future for it holds look no farther than the internet or whatever replaces it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
143 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   04:14 am  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also watched the meeting, there were about 200 collectors signed in! It was interesting, but nothing new as we all know that across the world its hard to attract younger generations to all sorts of "old" ideas in all walks of life.
In the digital age, especially when covid caused the closure of face to face activity, it is hard to win people back to face to face meetings and group activities. There are still many other business which have gone digital and now rely on the web, rather than physical presence.Stamp collecting and dealing is no different.These guys are auctioneers or dealers, so its in their interest to promote themselves electronically. I think I commented on a different thread about how difficult it is to get reliable information on auction houses . I am not sure if this has addressed this issue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
588 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's old is not new again, just the technology and means of delivery have changed. For those like me, and I think the vast majority of collectors, we are in the hobby for the enjoyment we get out of participating.

This fab four are recognized as the new bread of professional business folks looking to make a living serving us collectors. Both groups need each other to continue to exist.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both groups need each other to continue to exist.

Such a good point. It cuts to the heart of the matter. The symbiotic relationship between collectors and sellers. It still surprises me when I see people snail mailing in bids and bidding via telephone. There were still Floor Bidders during COVID. As the hobby advances technologically it also needs to be careful of alienating collectors that are "old-school". Of course at some juncture that will disappear entirely or to the point where it is no longer a real consideration. Until then the market will remain a hybrid of old and new styles of doing business.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the whole video and it was really interesting, but the most enlightening thing to me was the last minute where Yamil Kouri mentions the Mi Oficina Philatelic Society, and Latin America philately in general. I was not previously familiar with either Kouri or this society, but looks like a thriving community--they have literally hundreds of videos (almost all 90 minutes or longer) doing in depth presentations about various stamp issues and then discussions with dozens of participants, many of whom are younger. Looks like these guys are definitely doing it right.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
87 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We all need to keep in mind the posted video is A perspective, and not THE perspective, of our hobby - much as the multiple posts in this thread provide a variety of opinions. As some have mentioned, asking different collectors in different areas for their thoughts would most likely bring differing opinions. Rodg spelled it out quite well that there is definitely a shift between the old ways and new. It's a balancing act to get it right.

I'm 57, and returning to the hobby over the last year for the 2nd time (for good this time round), so I don't have the perspective of how things have changed over the last 10-30 years that most of you have. Bourse shows are way down, but the information available on the interweb is everywhere if you look, not really the case 20 years ago.

- Lance
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't even get people agreeing that philately ought to be saved. I've seen plenty who don't care, so long as they get to keep having their fun before they die. Fundamentally, I think we all know things have to change, but I really can't understand how we're going to attract a new audience when stamps are hardly a part of anyone's lives anymore. I think that the views of the young have changed dramatically, I haven't talked to anyone under 30 about stamps who aren't asking "how can I make money off of this?" They don't know what collecting is, everything has to be an investment, the greatest increase in value for the least possible effort and that's not how anything worthwhile works. The post office used to try to attract young collectors, but today, they're going out of business fast and don't care. Stamp shows are going under, even the massive shows have less than half the number of dealers that even moderate shows from 30 years ago used to attract. There is one and only one physical shop in my area and it's close to 100 miles away. You can buy stamps online, but it's just not the same as being able to page through books and pick out the exact stamp you wanted in your collection. Things have shifted and, IMO, not for the better. This isn't just philately, it's all collecting efforts, but it's just not as fun as it once was.

I have no clue how we're ever going to get back to a growing, vibrant, thriving hobby. I really don't see a lot of ways forward but I'm certainly willing to give it whatever effort I can.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
659 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think its ok. There are plenty of things to collect. If it is comics, baseball cards, coins, or stamps, or video games, that make people happy that's fine. Forcing/Steering people toward the hobby generally won't work. You
have to want it and "get" it. Many call it the bug.

I believe the "investment" side is all about what people are not paying attention to. Skate to where the puck is going to go.

My belief is the hobby is thriving and you don't know, because I am sitting in my room not sharing my collection with you. You only know I collect, because of this post. Hardly a way to gauge the hobby. The best collectors may not reveal their identities until the day they sell or never. I don't buy into the Linn's list of influencers as to who the "real collectors" are, just who wants to be public about it. For every Hotchner, Gitner, or Frajola, there are 1000s of people you never heard of.
I say, who cares?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6138 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry , reading this board and watching that video has not given any sense about tomorrow ,or about next month or about next year . What I am reading here is past history .

Talking about the internet or technological progress sounds like stuff that was taken place 20 years ago .You know like using computers to buy and sell thru auctions and all those new stamp websites was great to discuss back then . But how about now ,what is going on ?

Your all looking back over the past and trying to discuss the subject ,"The Future of Our Hobby" . tell me about tomorrow .

CEPHUS said "Things have shifted and IMO, not for the better " really !!!! --not for me
, stamps are getting better .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3102 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   7:33 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"For every Hotchner, Gitner, or Frajola, there are 1000s of people you never heard of.
I say, who cares?"

The people you mention contribute to the education of the rest of us. Those that collect silently only contribute their money. So, I care.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
659 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But that is their choice eyeonthewall. That is the great thing about a hobby. You can do you, and take this as serious or frivolous as you want. You can spend $5 or $50k on a stamp. But I think judging people, or ranking hobbyists is just silly. I have 4 kids and spending time with them, saying playing softball with my daughter, far outweighs collecting. Doesn't mean things are on the decline because I don't attend bourses, shows or subscribe to some club even if I did last year.

I think collecting is doing fine. When I see fair priced material, it gets bought. Thats how I know the hobby is good. If things were firesaling across the board, and US1 were going for $20 then, maybe its over. Supply and demand still flexing. Siegel and all the houses aren't closing shop.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6138 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
---- The Future of Our Hobby ------- Where are we going ? simple answer but it needs a lot of explaining .

Stamps are going to become a ---- STORE HOUSE of VALUE .
To explain that better Stocks and Bonds ,Real Estate, Interest Rates ,even Gold and Silver ,Gems all could have a much more drop or swings in value but your drops are not so great with stamps ,it is a steady place of value .Yes it could go down, but it has a entertainment value even in hard times { hard times means gov.t interference in the markets . }
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philately has been around for more than 170 years and a lot of people would like to see it go on for another 170 or more, long after we're gone. Anyone who doesn't care, you're not part of this discussion, but it is a discussion that has to be had and tons of people are trying to have it. The average age of collectors is very high and while it's impossible to know how many collectors there are overall, every metric we have shows it's going down. APS membership, bourse attendance, the number of career stamp dealers, all of it is going down. Once there's a massive die-off at the top end, which is coming a lot sooner than later, what will be left if we can't reliably attract new people to the hobby? After all, if the average age of APS members, one of the few metrics we really have, is 70 and the average lifespan for American men is 79, it won't be too long until they start falling apart. We might have a decade or so left before the damage is really done. If you don't care, fine. I'm not talking to you. For those who care though, this is something that we have to work out or just understand that stamp collecting might become as niche a hobby as collecting stagecoach memorabilia.

I don't want to see that happen, even if I'm not going to be here for that much longer.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,175Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05