Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Settle This For US Type II 491?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 666Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reddeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We started the day yesterday on 5 year plan DDR stamps and that was not the best idea. That left us more frustrated than anything. Then on to the pile of perf 10 Washington's. ( the whole time on Stampsmarter comparing) I wont bring up the other frustrating aspect of the old bank note issues I tried to figure with till midnight. Those will be another post here

either way... We come up with these for your expert eyes. None have a water mark. Thanks for any input.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4618 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All three stamps have the extra shading lines in the lower ribbons, thus all are type III stamps, thus if unwatermarked, Scott 492.

Add: The right stamp being knifed along the side perforations by an affixer and further reduced at top/bottom at some time in its hard life.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 09/25/2022 11:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8303 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John Becker. That was my understanding of it and I'm not trying to throw my daughter under the bus. But she saw on stampsmater the lines on the left of the ribbon thinking it was the way the ribbon pointed/aligned on the shading lies and I was not about to argue. It is a great tool and some things on there are confusing. The vertical/horizontal coil kept throwing her off and I then grabbed a coil of stamps demonstrating the vertical lines on a horizontal coil and vise versa.

So if the ribbon has only (one?) shade line in the ribbon, is that a type II?? I know I ran across a few that were clean in the rope and button but had on one to two mall lines in the ribbon.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1491 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:33 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Type I and type II both only have a single shading line in the ribbons. The lines on the ribbon and toga button are heavier in type II. In type I the lines are light and often broken.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
risny, good info appreciate it
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone intending to dive into the W-F issues should get a copy of Micarelli's Identification Guide to US Stamps. It does a great job of explaining, illustrating and categorizing the various types.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank u rogdcam, we will look for it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1134 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another difference between type I and type II W/Fs

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8303 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also both The Expert's Book and How to Detect Damaged, Altered and Repaired Stamps by Paul Schmid, Johl volume I, and the Armstrong books on the Washington/Franklins.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very good picture pointing it out. thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it Al E. Gator
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks revcollector we will be adding it to our library shortly
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully the following images may be helpful when used in conjunction with Type descriptions:

Scott 453 Type I

Scott 454 Type II

Scott 455 Type III
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks rogdcam that is definitely helpful thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8303 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johl volume I is available on the Siegel website under research and then the Siegel Encyclopedia. The other volumes are there as well, and all make for excellent reading.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks revcollector definitely will look for it
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 666Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05