Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

3 Hole Punch (Vario G Binder) For 9x12 Pages - How Do You Do It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 530Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   1:37 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add johnsim03 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm hoping someone can share what 3 hole punch they use to punch 9x12" album pages to fit in Vario G binders.

I realize that I can do it one punch at a time, using a template, but when you have hundreds to do, that doesn't seem practical. My three hole punch can only handle 8.5 x 11 paper. The album pages currently fit in 2 post, i.e., none of the holes will fit for a 3 hole binder.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   2:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are hole punches that allow you to change the hole locations as you wish, this one the paper guide slides out to 20 inches. https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Ad...p/B00006JNWS
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar dilemma with needing to punch 9x12 inch pages to fit the Harris Citation 2-post album. I also get the Vario Grande sheets (which are 9-1/2 x 12-1/4 inches) and trim with a guillotine paper cutter) to 9 x 12 inches to fit the Citation, and need to punch new holes to fit the post spacing.

I discovered that most 3 hole paper punches available are either "fixed" for 8-1/2 x 11 inch / 3-ring binder spacing, or if adjustable its by being able to move the posts to certain fixed positions and none of the options aligned with the hole spacing I needed.

I often check out rummage sales, thrift shops, and school/library/public entity surplus sales, usually just seeing what's there but often finding something interesting, including the two paper punches below.

I have a Mater Products Series 25 punch. While I'm using it just for 8-1/2 x 11 inch paper to make holes for 3-ring binders, it is adjustable for up to a 15 inch high sheet. The 3 "punchers" can be moved to any spot in their range by loosening the round bolt head. I wanted one that would just punch 2 holes (corresponding with the 2 posts in the Citation album) and there didn't seem to be an easy way to remove one of the three "punchers".

I then found a Bates paper punch which can be adjusted for up to a 20 inch high sheet. By loosening the wing nuts the "punchers" can be moved to any spot in the range. I was able to take off the snap ring (on the left of the rod) and pull the rod to the right so I could remove one of the "punchers" (pictured off by itself). This provides me with a 2-hole paper punch that works perfectly for 9 x 12 inch card stock and the Citation 2 post album binder.

Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   4:20 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both!

For my purposes (2-Post Harris Pages converted to Vario G 3 Hole) it seems to me that two things are critical:

1. Adjustable & lockable hole punches (I guess 3.9" distance from the center to bottom and top is the norm).

2. Adjustable paper guide (at least 12" in length).

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/25/2022 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
648 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy my paper cut to size for International albums from a local print house. They punch the holes exactly where I tell them and it saves a ton of hassle punching my own. Never had a jam running them through my printer from the input tray.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out your local thrift stores such as Goodwill; that is where I found mine for a couple of bucks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
588 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
years ago I had an uncle in the commercial offset printing business and when he needed holed paper. he used a homemade wooden template which he clamped to a ream of paper and drilled. I suspect that this method would work equally well for any size pages and holes needed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grande (9x12) sized sheets into a Vario (8.5x11) binder?
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   09:16 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Grande (9x12) sized sheets into a Vario (8.5x11) binder?

Can't speak about Grande sheets but any 9x12 paper/sheet should fit (perhaps with hole adjustment).

Here are the dimensions of the Vario-G Classic Binder with Slipcase (3 ring):

12 3/4" x 11 5/8" x 3 3/8" (322 x 296 x 86 mm)

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/26/2022 09:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6874 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   11:42 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From memory, a Lighthouse Vario Gigant binder will just take Grande stock-pages, but other, slimmer Vario binders won't.
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   07:58 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is just a follow-up posting to close out this topic.

I chose the following heavy duty (adjustable) 2/3 hole punch,
which can slice through 20-30 pages at a time like a knife through
butter. Works like a charm!

Vintage ACCO Model 350 Heavy Duty 2 / 3 Hole Paper Punch Slide Guide

Thanks again for the great suggestions in this thread - they really helped a lot.

John

Edited by johnsim03 - 10/03/2022 08:01 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05