Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Dealer Don Lewis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ecmorgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Didn't see anything after a search, but on Saturday, receiving what I thought was a normal promotional email, was a note that stamp dealer Don Lewis had passed.

Below is the note:

Dear Collectors,

It is with great sadness that I need to inform you that Don passed away very quickly at the ER on Sept. 5 from a heart attack. Some of you may have known that Don had Alzheimer's which was progressing. While Don's memory was failing significantly, Don continued to be his same easy-going self, doing all self care and loving to catalog stamps everyday (although Jenelle did need to check his work). Don had a very long-standing wish, which he openly shared with everyone, for his passing be very quick and before he ever needed long-term care. While some of us might want that wish for ourselves, Don is the only person I have ever known who somehow got his wish. His passing was exactly the way he wanted it.

Don's professional career for 30 years was in the social service field working with children's agencies. His last ten years in the field was as Executive Director of a large family service agency in Dubuque, Iowa. After retiring as Executive Director at age 57, he started the stamp business because of his life-long love of stamps. Don and I were both born and raised in Arizona and moved back to Tucson in 1999 to be closer to family and friends. Don continued the business for another 23 years—and loved every minute of it! As some of you know, the best part of Country Collections for him was going to auctions and buying collections that he could divide into country collections (and later individual stamps) to have quality material for you, his customers. He often told me that he could never have enough stamps to sell!

One of the highlights of the business for him over the years was visiting with so many of you about your collecting interests along with other subjects that might arise! As many of you know, Don had absolutely wonderful, long-term staff who also loved talking to you, the customers. Jenelle Robinson has filled that wonderful role for Country Collections for the last 6 years.

It is with great gratitude to Jenelle that I can share that Jenelle and her husband will be buying Country Collections to carry on Don's legacy. With Don's declining memory over the last year, Jenelle and I have worked closely and developed an amazingly close friendship, in addition to a wonderful working relationship that kept Country Collections going.

On another very sad note, in the week that Don died, Jenelle's mother-in-law also passed away in Springfield, Massachusetts. Jenelle and William spent the last two weeks with William's father. Because of both of these passings, the recent lists have been delayed, as well the speed of which orders will be filled has also been delayed. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Don and I were married for 35 wonderful years, and he had 81 amazingly good years on this earth. Without hesitation, the happiest years of Don's life were his years of running Country Collections. While he will be greatly missed by family and many who knew him, we all have wonderful memories to keep us going!

If you have any questions of me or Jenelle about future plans for Country Collections, please don't hesitate to ask. Jenelle will continue to manage the business until the sale of the business is completed by the end of the year.

As Don would say, "Happy Collecting" and hopefully this will continue with Country Collections for all of you!

My best to all of you,

Ginnie Lewis
Send note to Staff
clay-morgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
589 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry for your loss.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
588 Posts
Posted 09/25/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember the good times. Don lived his life to the fullest sharing his blessings of many days on our earth enjoying his zest for living. Rest in peace. Your legacy lives on.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2238 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like we've lost one of the good guys.

R.I.P. Don
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
104 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased stamps this gentleman many times several years ago. He was always fair and a great person to deal with.

God bless!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05